Vidiu preview Function

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rolandc

Vidiu preview Function

Post by rolandc »

The snapshot side is all but useless, Has anyone figured out how to get the "Broadcast View" to work?

Right now the only live preview available is via an Android device or and Apple device connected directly to the Vidiu via its own wifi.

Audio preview would be nice too. :rolleyes:

Open Broadcaster is looking better and better. For non HD webcasting.
Roland
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Vidiu preview Function

Post by Mikerowaved »

rolandc wrote:Open Broadcaster is looking better and better. For non HD webcasting.
I'm curious why the "non HD webcasting" qualifier?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm wondering about the value of preview. Troubleshooting, yes. But I'd be more interested in "stats" that show that things like audio levels are "in spec".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Mikerowaved wrote:
rolandc wrote:Open Broadcaster is looking better and better. For non HD webcasting.
I'm curious why the "non HD webcasting" qualifier?
Easy

For HD capture the Vidiu is great 600.00

for non HD capture (cheap) Open Broadcaster will take the place of the mixer allowing for multiple camera inputs with overlays and scrolling text if that is so desired. I have been using it and exploring all its features. I ran three broadcast events with it this past weekend and all three had 100% health stats on the church servers running at 2mb upload and 60 FPS. Did I mention its FREE, open source just like open office is. BUT better.

It will do any resolution so if you already have a PC with HDMI capture you really need to take a close look at it, seriously it does everything we need.

It also made a perfect recording of our Stake conference.
Last edited by rolandc on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roland
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

russellhltn wrote:I'm wondering about the value of preview. Troubleshooting, yes. But I'd be more interested in "stats" that show that things like audio levels are "in spec".
For me, I like to see and hear what the encoder is doing.
Roland
lpuster

Post by lpuster »

I was hoping that the Broadcast View would eliminate the separate monitor I need for aiming the camera. The error I am getting is that Adobe Flash can't find the camera! It seems to be looking for a hardware device. I wonder why the Snapshot View (every 10 seconds) works when the Broadcast View doesn't. It would be nice if CHQ asked Teradek about this. I suspect we are one of their best customers.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

The Broadcast View part of the VidiU will not play with the URL that the VidiU provides, due to security reasons, which I will not get into.

If you have a single camera, the Snapshot view, works, if you have the patience to do so. Depending on the camera that is used, there may be some software available to control the camera via a laptop that would show what the camera sees. If a handycam is used, then the viewer is build in the camera. Otherwise, start up the event, set the camera, wait 30 seconds and see where you are at. It is all very doable......I do it all the time for my stake and at work.

If you have more then one camera, I would suggest investing a video mixer of some sort.

You can hear what is being broadcasted via the headphone jack on the side of the box; just plug in some headphones.

Open Broadcaster is a nice piece of software, if you have the needed hardware to run it (capture cards, inputs into the laptop/PC to plug cameras into, etc). And of course it is open source, so there is no support for it.......you are on your own if you choose to use it.
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

lpuster wrote:I was hoping that the Broadcast View would eliminate the separate monitor I need for aiming the camera.
I was hoping the same thing. Too bad we can't make it work. FM took away the 12 inch monitors we used for years, so I had to use a 21 inch monitor in our stake conference last month. It was rather distracting to the people sitting at the front of the cultural hall. I'm considering pulling out the small monitor from the satellite rack next time. It would be perfect.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”