New building in stake can't see Stk Calendar items

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
NPAlemany

New building in stake can't see Stk Calendar items

Post by NPAlemany »

Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you fix it?

A building that came to us from another stake in a recent boundary reorganization can be seen by the stake but they cannot see items on the Stake Calendar. I went into the "Locations and Rooms" screen and checked the box allowing "Wards and Stake to schedule this location", so now they appear on the calendar. The stake can see them but they are not able to see any of the stake events that have been posted on the e-calendar. This is not isolated to one individual and it seems to be a wide spread problem in this building. And the problem seems to be only involve the www.lds.org calendar. If they have the LDS tools app they are able to see stake events posted there. Is there something else I need to do for them to see stake events?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New building in stake can't see Stk Calendar items

Post by russellhltn »

Just to be clear, members can't see events in their own ward or stake (if it's a stake-level event) - but only if it's taking place at this new building?

I would not expect members to see events in other wards or other stakes.

If activating the appropriate location calendar, I would expect anyone to see that a building is in-use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

To clarify: Everyone in the other buildings are able to see what is scheduled in this building by going to the "week" view of their calendar screens. The default setting is that all buildings in the left-hand column are checked in "week" view. Those in this building are unable to open the drop down menu for the list of stake calendars. When they are in the calendar screen on http://www.lds.org they can see an arrow to the right of the words "Stake Calendars" indicating there are calendars to be viewed but when they click on the word "Stake Calendars" the arrow shift to pointing downward and the words "All/None" in blue ink appear but no calendars drop down that allows them to choose "all or none." There ARE calendars, they just are not populating their screens.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nancypalemany wrote:Those in this building are unable to open the drop down menu for the list of stake calendars. When they are in the calendar screen on http://www.lds.org they can see an arrow to the right of the words "Stake Calendars" indicating there are calendars to be viewed but when they click on the word "Stake Calendars" the arrow shift to pointing downward and the words "All/None" in blue ink appear but no calendars drop down that allows them to choose "all or none." There ARE calendars, they just are not populating their screens.
These are members who have changed stakes, correct?

I think the issue is that they need to open their subscriptions and subscribe to the calendars in their new stake. Just above the "Churchwide Calendars" is a ">>" (double arrow pointing to the right). They need to click on that. The column will expand and they can see all public calendars in the stake and choose to subscribe to them. If they are not subscribed to a calendar, they will not have the option of selecting that calendar in the main screen.

Because the calendar system is not standardized in any way, there is no way to transfer subscription settings when a member moves between units. I'm not sure what's supposed to happen to subscriptions when a record is moved to a new ward/stake, but I suspect that process didn't happen when the stake changed on them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

Okay, if they have not chosen what to subscribe to on the http://www.lds.org e-calendar page by going to the ">>" first and subscribing, why would they be able to see stake activities on the LDStools app? Doesn't the first one drive the second one? I think I'll have to ask a few more probing questions of the scheduler in the building who is reporting the issue. What exactly does he see of stake activities? Because if A drives B he shouldn't be seeing any stake events on the app because he has not selected any subscriptions to follow
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nancypalemany wrote:Okay, if they have not chosen what to subscribe to on the http://www.lds.org e-calendar page by going to the ">>" first and subscribing, why would they be able to see stake activities on the LDStools app? Doesn't the first one drive the second one?
Good question. I don't know. LDS Tools is a bit removed. It could be that the system is internally in a inconsistent state, or maybe the sync failed to remove pre-existing events off of his calendar.

But what I'm looking at is if no calendars are showing under stake, the next step is to look at the subscriptions. That's immediate and tightly connected. Once we know what that looks like, we'll go from there. The problem may resolve itself once the subscriptions are checked and any corrections made.

nancypalemany wrote:I think I'll have to ask a few more probing questions of the scheduler in the building who is reporting the issue. What exactly does he see of stake activities?
He should see his stake calendars and his ward calendars just like any other member. Unless he has a out of unit calling, that is all. I don't think being a building scheduler grants any special permissions to ward/stake calendars.

Being a building scheduler does gives him access to schedule events and restrictions on the system's building calendar. (Which will NOT sync, nor show in LDS Tools, nor on any ward or stake calendar - only in the building calendar. So it's not a good tool to use to schedule church activities.)

NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

Thank you, He responded this morning. I gave him a test to run for me and it is true A does drive B. He could not see a specific stake event I told him to look up on his app. I've asked him to make the correction you suggested (complete with screen shots of what to look for). Will report results when I hear anything.

Thank you for your help. NOW, if I could only get these new wards to get on board with us and how we schedule buildings - two of the units came in with "Ward Calendar Admins" scheduling all events in the building for their leadership. One even made their building scheduler an WCA. If only they understood how convenient it is for leadership to schedule their events right there in their planning meetings instead of tracking down a building scheduler. I just sent a Teacher's Quorum President back to his adviser to reserve the cultural for a youth night activity - with the instructions "Your adviser can do this for you in your Presidency meeting."
NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

Mysteriously, the calendar seems to have corrected itself and the stake calendars are visible to those in the building that was having difficulty seeing it without going to the ">>" I'll never understand what caused the gerbils to get back in line. If you had anything to do with it, Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nancypalemany wrote:Mysteriously, the calendar seems to have corrected itself and the stake calendars are visible to those in the building that was having difficulty seeing it without going to the ">>" I'll never understand what caused the gerbils to get back in line. If you had anything to do with it, Thank you.
I was waiting for the outcome of the subscriptions before reporting anything, but the developers have been known to lurk here so I'm not sure what happened.

Return to “Calendar”