MRN in LDS Tools

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Bookjunkie

MRN in LDS Tools

Post by Bookjunkie »

Is there any way to turn on the MRN in LDS Tools? Two weeks ago I could see in LDS Tools, now it does not show. I am a Ward Clerk and Family History Consultant and when I help members get their LDS.org or FamilySearch.org accounts set up it is very helpful to get their MRN with my phone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MRN in LDS Tools

Post by russellhltn »

As far as I know, there's no on/off switch for that. There might be a requirement to use a PIN to open LDS Tools when you have access to that kind of information but I'm not sure how that's enforced.

I can't see the access tables the developers are working from, but I'd think as a ward clerk you would have access to the MRN. So I suspect this is a bug rather than a decision. But you never know.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:As far as I know, there's no on/off switch for that. There might be a requirement to use a PIN to open LDS Tools when you have access to that kind of information but I'm not sure how that's enforced.
In the past at least if you had a calling that had access to sensitive information it would require that you set a PIN. If you didn't have one set it would ask you to choose one and it would set it. But it's possible that has changed.
russellhltn wrote:I can't see the access tables the developers are working from, but I'd think as a ward clerk you would have access to the MRN. So I suspect this is a bug rather than a decision. But you never know.
Make sure your ward clerk calling is still recorded correctly (and as a standard calling) in CDOL. But if it is, then I agree with russelhltn. It sounds like a bug. I really doubt they would turn off the MRN for the ward clerk.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

I am a ward Executive Secretary and just check both LDS.org Directory & LDS Tools. I was able to access the MRN for myself and multiple other members in both places.

Not sure but on the app (LDS Tools) one needs to sync periodically, right? At this mornings access of LDS Tools I had to sign in to proceed. Not sure why, before I had only to give a pin.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Not sure but on the app (LDS Tools) one needs to sync periodically, right? At this mornings access of LDS Tools I had to sign in to proceed. Not sure why, before I had only to give a pin.
For leaders, the PIN is required. But even if you've specified a PIN, occasionally you are required to sign in as well, which forces a resync.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Bookjunkie wrote:Is there any way to turn on the MRN in LDS Tools?
The MRN is still available in Android LDS Tools. I can't speak for the other versions.

For those with permissions to see membership information it is found in the "Membership Information" section for the member selected. The MRN is only displayed for the unit in which you have a calling with permissions to see membership information. The clerk calling should see the MRN for the members of his unit. However, a family history consultant does not have access to membership information.

If you are not seeing the MRN for members of your unit then this could be related to the dual calling issue that was reported a couple of years ago for sites such as LCR and some LDS.org tools. Only this time it may have impacted LDS Tools.

I would check the online Directory to see if the MRN is available for you there. That dual calling issue was resolved for the Directory and you should see the MRN for members of your unit there.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Not sure but on the app (LDS Tools) one needs to sync periodically, right? At this mornings access of LDS Tools I had to sign in to proceed. Not sure why, before I had only to give a pin.
Yes, in addition to the PIN it requires a periodic sync. Usually when it needs to sync it gives you 5 more logins using the PIN before blocking access. But unless something has changed it would block all access, rather than just block access to sensitive info.

But doing a sync in LDS Tools is probably a good idea too.
Bookjunkie

Post by Bookjunkie »

I can see Leadership information and MRN through my browser on my phone and PC, but not through my Android app. I use the required PIN. I do have duel callings at the Stake level, and it looks like that was an issue in the past that might not be entirely resolved.

Return to “Membership Help”