User can connect to LDS Access but can't browse Internet

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
KathrynGZ

User can connect to LDS Access but can't browse Internet

Post by KathrynGZ »

I teach a family history Sunday School class, and one of the class members is having a puzzling issue with meetinghouse Internet access. Here are the pertinent facts:

* She can connect to LDS Access her laptop with no problem. The signal strength is high.
* However, she cannot bring up any Internet pages on her laptop. The browser gives her a message about being unable to access the page. (She has only tried Chrome so far, but I doubt this is a browser problem.)
* She *can* connect to LDS Access on her mobile device *and* she can browse the Internet.
* She has no problems browsing the Internet at home on the same machine.
* Other class members have no problem accessing the Internet.
* Her laptop is from her job, and she had the tech guys at her job look at it--they can't see anything that would keep her from being able to access the Internet at church.

Does anyone have any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Kathryn
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: User can connect to LDS Access but can't browse Internet

Post by russellhltn »

I'd guess she has a static IP. It may be fine for home and work, but not appropriate for church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I've also seen this problem with computers that default to IPv6 instead of IPv4. I had to disable v6 in the network properties.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
wwoodford

Post by wwoodford »

I have seen this problem with systems that use static DNS rather than obtain their Des fro the church servers with the DHCP reservation. There is nothing to resolve the request since the hutch network only allow the church DNS

William Woodford
Stake Clerk
Fayetteville North Carolina West Stake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wwoodford wrote:I have seen this problem with systems that use static DNS
I'll bet that's it. I'll she's using OpenDSN or something like that. Perhaps it's part of a filtering package that's been installed on her machine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KathrynGZ

Post by KathrynGZ »

Thank you all! Looks like the static IP was the problem. As soon as she changed it to dynamic, she was able to access the Internet.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”