MLS Printing Error

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

MLS Printing Error

Post by bradhokanson »

I am receiving an error while printing in MLS. It says "an error occurred while preparing the document for printing" I called Local Unit Support on Wednesday and they said it would have to go to their 2nd Tier.

I have backed up MLS, unintalled it, uninstalled JAVA, deleted any directories relating to MLS or JAVA, reinstalled MLS only; same error.

It appears to be related to JAVA to me because I can print for any other app..just MLS has the issue.

I am considering get a virtual machine running and installing MLS on it, importing the backup and see what that does but it seems a bit overkill.

The machine is 7 years old and I have started the replacment process but that could take a while ;-)

Suggestions?

Brad
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS Printing Error

Post by russellhltn »

Did you follow the procedure in the wiki? In particular, did you remove C:\Program Files\jre6? That's where MLS keeps it's own copy of Java. It doesn't use the one you can see in add/remove programs.

I'd also clear out the temp files and run a chkdsk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

I didnt follow the procedure in the wiki, clear temp files or do a CHKDSK which i will do tonight but I did remove the c:\Program Files\ANYTHING RELATED TO JAVA directories.

I was able to install a new instance on a spare clear Window XP VM i had, backup the existing MLS DB and then restore it on the new VM instance, print checks, backup it up again and then restore MLS on the old machine. It was a bit of a pain but we needed to cut some checks. ;-)

Brad
jnbair

Post by jnbair »

If you have accidentally selected a PDFwriter as a printer. you get the error message "an error occurred while preparing the document for Printing".

Go in under printer and devices; delete the PDFWriter.

next time you go to print it should allow for you to choice a device.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”