Ward History friendly?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
aschmidt21

Ward History friendly?

Post by aschmidt21 »

Move-in and Move-outs:
I was trying to help the newly assigned Ward Historian do her 2014 History report.
She wanted Move-in and Move-outs for the last year:
The Move-in/Move-out needs a date range setting that can go back beyond 12 months and end on Dec 31.
aschmidt21

Re: Ward History friendly?

Post by aschmidt21 »

Officers Sustained forms:
I was trying to help the newly assigned Ward Historian do her 2014 History report.
She wanted the Officers Sustained forms for the last year:
We were to pull them from MLS. We had none saved for the last year!
When this function gets added to LCR I hope a "save" for historian purposes is encouraged.

Could we include in move-outs our recording of deaths? for history purposes?
Last edited by aschmidt21 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aschmidt21 wrote:I was trying to help the newly assigned Ward Historian do her 2014 History report.
She wanted Move-in and Move-outs for the last year:
The Move-in/Move-out needs a date range setting that can go back beyond 12 months and end on Dec 31.
Some thoughts:
  • You can use the system as it is now to gather this data, but it requires you to plan ahead and generate a report right as the year ends. Obviously it's too late for that for 2014, but you could learn from this experience and make a note to generate the report on December 31, 2015.
  • A clerk can use a custom report in MLS to generate a list of move-ins as far back as you'd like. But that's not an option for move-outs.
  • Storing the data required for a Move-out list requires MLS (or some other system) to retain information about records that are no longer in the ward. It makes sense that such data would have a cutoff, so that this data would not accumulate for and be retained years into the future. For most purposes, 12 months seems adequate. For this particular case, I can see why you might want a bit more than 12 months, but it's certainly not a common use case.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aschmidt21 wrote:Officers Sustained forms:
She wanted the Officers Sustained forms for the last year:
We were to pull them from MLS. We had none saved for the last year!
When this function gets added to LCR I hope a "save" for historian purposes is encouraged.
The instructions on the form itself say: "After the conference, the ward clerk should give this form to the stake clerk to be included in the Annual History for Stakes and Districts (32299)."

So if these instructions were properly followed, the stake clerk will have a copy of the form from your last ward conference.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:A clerk can use a custom report in MLS to generate a list of move-ins as far back as you'd like.
I believe that would be move-ins that are still "in". I'm not sure how you'd identify a move-in and back out during the year.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”