Wall mounted flat TV Screen in Bishop's office.

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
1968leocomeeatabite

Wall mounted flat TV Screen in Bishop's office.

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

I have searched the forum for any help on this subject. Therefore I felt justified in starting a new topic. (Please help if I have missed it.) Much has been explained about the use of media in the meeting house, but I could not find anything said, about use in the Bishop's Office. In our Bishopric meetings and in our Ward Council meeting we have consistently used a flat screen from the library. We have used training s, agenda's, lists, New and returning Member Progress forms and LCR. This has been very helpful in trying to keep the amount of paper down and using digital to keep the bishopric organized. The cart that holds the flat screen TV has been cumbersome, but also more desirable than the projector. Both of these items present an inconvenience, even a challenge in rearranging where one seats to view the material. There is barely a chair for each member of the ward council and an occasional invited guest.

The Bishopric would like to get a large flat screen TV with all the capabilities of connecting to the internet or at least to a laptop and USB! Mount this on the wall and have it readily available for Ward Council and any-other meeting that might be held. It would be helpful to have it on a swivel wall mount. From the encouragement of the Stake President our Bishop has begun having Ward Council every week. Therefore this would greatly increase our ability to be effective and organized, also keeping, the way to much paper, down to a minimum.

I have not seen anywhere that it is part of the churches policy to provide this, but it has become a very desirable and needed item. Can anyone help? Shall we make a request through our Stake President and or FM group? Or are we hopelessly consigned to the cart?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Wall mounted flat TV Screen in Bishop's office.

Post by russellhltn »

You can discuss it with the stake president, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:it has become a very desirable and needed item.
When your bishop discusses it with your stake president, make sure he mentions that it will get weekly use by the priests quorum that meets in his office. [smile]

That said, I am with russellhltn on this one. Don't get your hopes up. The stake may request it from the FM Group, but I do not see them very often approve such an item for a specific classroom.

Now if you are in a building with a regular Seminary room that is so equipped, perhaps the ward council could meet in that room, instead. Just a thought.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I recently moved into a ward where the Bishop just decided to do this on his own for all the reasons specified above. FM took it off the wall, patched everything back up and didn't say mum about it to anyone.

I echo everyone else, the only way this will happen is if FM is involved from the beginning, through the stake, but I believe they've been instructed not to do it.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

Great insight, thank you all.
With all that the Bishop is asked to do, and with the forward progress of technology, the mountain of work that is ever coming through the door into the Bishop, I really think that this has to be part of a future plan. Or Maybe a new meeting house plan with a Ward Council room equipped with media and a table, much like a High Council room. Hmm----- ?

So to go along with this, the church could provide a site (cloud) for confidential agendas for Bishopric, PEC, and Ward Council meetings. With access to those attending the meeting. Hm--?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The Bishops office (IMHO) is a bit different here where the door can be locked and the equipment can be some-what secured. But the issue is that it makes just as much sense to have a mounted TV in the Primary Room, Relief Society Room, Young Woman's and Young Men's areas etc.... but how would one 'secure' this item. The concern would be asset protection and once people know we have Large Screens in each of these rooms they might become targets for thieves or vandals.

As I was involved with a prototype meetinghouse a couple years ago I can tell you that this is not on their minds at all, however, the Seminary Program receive an HDMI/DVD projector that works really well in a small setting etc... so that might be an option. Our walls are typically generic white and don't look too bad if you point against them.

What about using a projector?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Great insight, thank you all.
With all that the Bishop is asked to do, and with the forward progress of technology, the mountain of work that is ever coming through the door into the Bishop, I really think that this has to be part of a future plan. Or Maybe a new meeting house plan with a Ward Council room equipped with media and a table, much like a High Council room. Hmm----- ?
Now, multiply that across the number of wards or buildings in the church .... that starts to be a big number.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:. . . much like a High Council room.
I have not seen a high council room equipped with a projector or large television. We always borrow the projector from the library, or just use the big TV also from the library.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
1968leocomeeatabite wrote:. . . much like a High Council room.
I have not seen a high council room equipped with a projector or large television. We always borrow the projector from the library, or just use the big TV also from the library.
I think some years ago there were posts here about just such a install in the HC room. But it's by no means standard. And I think word came down shortly after that that discouraged such installs.

michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I think its important to remember that the responsibility of equipment (such as TV sets) in meetinghouses falls under the FM Group. They must purchase, install, maintain and inventory those items for each building.

The approved list of equipment has been researched and approved by those who oversee and balance church-wide needs vs. budget, etc. including concerns regarding quality, features, ease-of-use, reliability, obsolescence, etc.

Then there's also the issue of many wards wanting the same thing - which could cause undue demand on budgets and a available time of facility manager employees.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”