Meetings conflict

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
kristacook-p40

Meetings conflict

Post by kristacook-p40 »

Is there any guidance on holding meetings that conflict with regular church meetings?

My husband and I have encountered a somewhat strange practice, at least to us. Our stake president holds stake leadership/priesthood training meetings Sunday mornings during our reguar church meeting block from 10 a.m. to about 1 p.m.. This means our Branch President is not able to come to Sacrament meetings at all. An upcoming one is starting at 9 a.m. and my husband, Branch Mission Leader, is required to attend. These meetings happen quarterly.

What about holding Branch meetings during the 3 hour block that pulls people away from regular church meetings. What about the Branch President, or others, scheduling private meetings with individuals or groups during the 3 hour block?

I would imagine there is guidance on this issue -- in the Handbook? Does anyone know? Is it online anywhere?

I've tried searching this forum and lds.org using all the methods I know, but I am drawing a blank. I'm encountering a couple of problems. First, I can't think of any search terms to use. The terms I come up with are not specific enough to be useful in utilizing the online search features. In addition, the "Search Gospel Library" function on lds.org does not have a separate function to search policy/procedures/guidelines or what Handbook guidance does exist online. It can search "support materials" but it does not specify exactly what these support materials are so I don't know if I am searching what I think I'm searching or searching want I want to search.

I've posed a number of questions here and I need help with all of them.

I'm in library school and I'm supposed to be learning the best search techniques so I can help others. I'm going to feel really stupid if there is an easy answer to this. . .

Help!

(Are any search features I've mentioned under consideration for future online search functions?)
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Krista,

This question really doesn't suit the purpose of this web site and forum. Church policies and procedures are not the focus of this community.

The only Tech part of your question is if there is an online, searchable handbook. The answer is there is not. You'll have to search the printed book yourself. I suggest using the Table of Contents and Index.

As for as your policy and procedure question, it is really between you and your local leaders. If you must, approach your leaders with your concern. The only thing I can really say is that your situation is most likely unique and not common to the rest of the Church units.
kristacook-p40

Search details and features

Post by kristacook-p40 »

I don't appreciate you inferring that my questions are inappropriate. I'm a library/information science student. I turn every question I have into a search question and formulate search strategies.

Since all my church leaders have access to the Handbook, I don't feel I need to discuss anything with them. Following church policy/procedure/guidelines is their responsibility after all, not mine.

I know the Handbook isn't online – at least not an official up-to-date version on lds.org. . .

Fragments of the Handbook are online and available to ordinary people from the Church Distribution Center. I know this because I have the portion that deals with Relief Society. There does not appear to be any way to search the fragments using the Gospel Library Search feature online. Is there, or have I missed something?

There doesn't seem to be any place to identify what fragments of the Handbook exist online or am I missing something? Wouldn't this be a useful feature on lds.org? I think it would be.

What resources are included under the "Support Materials" on the Gospel Library Search feature? I have no idea what is being searched because there does not appear to be any information on what "Support Materials" includes. I can't focus any search without knowing this.

Your comment that I should search the index and table of contents of the Handbook is useless unless I have terms and I requested help with the terms.

I'd also like to know if Preach My Gospel is one of the resources searched under the "Search Gospel Library" feature. There does not appear to be an html version online yet and there isn't even a complete PDF so I'm wondering if the only way to search it is chapter by chapter in the PDF's if I want to do a keyword search online . Are you going to tell me this question is inappropriate because I'm not a missionary?

(Note: My Branch President has given every member a copy of Preach My Gospel and a copy of the complete Preach My Gospel DVD's that accompany it.)
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

As a moderator, I have been given the charge to keep this forum focused on technology and its application to the work of the Church. I have also been told to help the community avoid Church policy discussions that do not directly relate to this charge.

It is too bad you have taken so much offense from my comments. I did not say your comments were inappropriate in a way that is offensive. I was merely letting you know that your post is not aligned with the purpose of this site and forum.

Your question is about finding policy in the Church handbook about your stake leadership holding meetings in the middle of ward/branch Sacrament meetings. Can you honestly tell me you think your question is a relevant topic for discussion on a technology-only focused site?

I tried to somehow tie your question to technology through your comment about finding something in the Handbook, or it being hosted online somewhere. I answered both of those questions the best I knew how.

If I have misread your underlying question(s) or purpose(s), I apologize; I am not getting any other vibe from both of your posts.
kristacook-p40

I give up . . .

Post by kristacook-p40 »

Since you can't or won't answer my technical questions I suppose it is pointless to ask any questions about the possibility of embedded indexing in the future.

http://www.asindexing.org/site/Mauer_Em ... dexing.pdf
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kristacook wrote:I'd also like to know if Preach My Gospel is one of the resources searched under the "Search Gospel Library" feature....

This is a valid question that belongs in a different forum. I have started a new thread in the lds.org forum to discuss it and the other search questions.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kristacook wrote:I know the Handbook isn't online ...
That is correct.
Fragments of the Handbook are online and available to ordinary people from the Church Distribution Center. I know this because I have the portion that deals with Relief Society. There does not appear to be any way to search the fragments using the Gospel Library Search feature online. Is there, or have I missed something?
Although parts of Handbook 2 (the Relief Society section you mentioned, the Gospel Teaching and Leadership section, and some others) are available through the Distribution Center, they are not online and are not part of the Gospel Library Search feature online.

The Church has issued a series of Guidebooks, many intended for branches. These are online and are part of the Gospel Library Search feature.
There doesn't seem to be any place to identify what fragments of the Handbook exist online or am I missing something? Wouldn't this be a useful feature on lds.org? I think it would be.
Nothing from the Church Handbook of Instructions (CHI) Book 1 or 2 is available online at lds.org. Almost everything else is available.
What resources are included under the "Support Materials" on the Gospel Library Search feature? I have no idea what is being searched because there does not appear to be any information on what "Support Materials" includes. I can't focus any search without knowing this.
Here is a partial list:

Branch Guidebook
Priesthood and Auxiliary Leaders' Guidebook
Guidebook for Parents of Leaders and Youth
A Parent's Guide
Family Guidebook

Teaching Guidebook
Improving Gospel Teaching: A Leader's Guide
Teaching, No Greater Call: ...

The Latter-day Saint Woman: Basic Manual for Women, Parts A and B
Duties and Blessings of the Priesthood: Basic Manual for Priesthood Holders, Parts A and B
Information for Priesthood and Auxiliary Leaders on Curriculum: 2005 through 2008

Family Home Evening Resource Book
Gospel Art Picture Kit
Young Women Personal Progress: ...

Gospel Principles
True to the Faith
The Family: A Proclamation to the World
Old Testament Stories
New Testament Stories
Book of Mormon Stories
Doctrine and Covenants Stories

Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Children's Songbook ...
The Primary Sharing Time and Children's Sacrament Meeting program guides
I'd also like to know if Preach My Gospel is one of the resources searched under the "Search Gospel Library" feature. There does not appear to be an html version online yet and there isn't even a complete PDF
The 244 page pdf version of Preach My Gospel at lds.org appears to be complete and is searchable. I do not believe it is included yet in the Gospel Library Search feature.

I hope this answers some of your questions. I did not know the answer to most of them, but a few minutes at lds.org solved the puzzle.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

kristacook wrote:Is there any guidance on holding meetings that conflict with regular church meetings?
Your best bet is to discuss your concerns with your ecclesiastical leader. We are not allowed to post any of the Church handbook online at this time.

Tom

Return to “General Discussions”