Prospective elders appearing in Priest Quorum rolls and list

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jayriggity

Prospective elders appearing in Priest Quorum rolls and list

Post by jayriggity »

I recently printed class lists and attendance rolls for our Young Men's President. The class lists and attendance rolls for each Aaronic Priesthood quorum have what appears to be all of the male members with that priesthood -- e.g., an 88-year-old inactive member who is an ordained priest is showing up on the priest quorum rolls.

I checked a couple of these members' individual records in MLS to see their "assigned" groups, and there doesn't seem to be a problem there -- e.g., the 88-year-old lists "High Priest Group" and "Gospel Doctrine" as his assigned organizations. But they still show up on the Priest Quorum lists.

I don't think this has been a problem in the past for us, so it might be something with a recent update.

Any ideas on a solution here?
jsmklove

Re: Prospective elders appearing in Priest Quorum rolls and

Post by jsmklove »

Under the individual tab on the members individual record there is a place to reset the organizations try that and see if it works
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Doctrinally speaking, as a priest, despite his age, his stewardship is in the priests quorum, right? So, the bishop (priests quorum president) is directly responsible for him – not the elders quorum president or high priests group leader, neither of whom can receive revelation on his behalf. If I were the bishop I'd want him to be on my stewardship list. And the office of high priest should not have anything to do with age.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jayriggity

Post by jayriggity »

I'm not sure about that, but I'm pretty sure that the handbook says that all lrospective elders are to be assigned to either the high priest group or the elders quorum, and that the decision if which one is case by case. I for think a prospective elder ever belongs in the aaronic priesthood quorum.

Plus, it messes up the young mens rolls, which is what I'm trying to fix.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:Doctrinally speaking, as a priest, despite his age, his stewardship is in the priests quorum, right? So, the bishop (priests quorum president) is directly responsible for him – not the elders quorum president or high priests group leader, neither of whom can receive revelation on his behalf. If I were the bishop I'd want him to be on my stewardship list. And the office of high priest should not have anything to do with age.
Regardless of stewardship prospective elders do not attend quorum meeting with priests so they should not be on the attendance roll for the priests.

According to one of the developers this is a known bug that will be fixed in an upcoming release.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

An 88-year-old inactive member is a prospective elder. The bishop and quorum/group leaders should determine whether the member should be assigned to the elders quorum or high priests group. (See Handbook 2, 7.6.)

As eblood66 pointed out, this has already been addressed in an upcoming release.
jayriggity

Post by jayriggity »

Yes. I've gone into a few of the records and they are assigned to the proper organizations. E.g., the 88-year-old priest is assigned to the high priest group. But he's still showing up on the priest quorum roll and class list.

Glad to hear that this is being addressed somewhere. As it stands (in a ward with a ton of prospective elders) this glitch really messes up the young mens lists and makes them effectively unusuable for the YM president.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The bug affected both MLS and LCR. LCR can respond faster, so the bug has already been fixed in LCR. Use LCR to generate your rolls and you won't encounter the issue.

Even better: The young men president and his secretary have access to LCR and can generate reports on their own. Train them to generate their own rolls in LCR.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”