Events off 1 hour (daylight savings time?)

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
michaelfish

Events off 1 hour (daylight savings time?)

Post by michaelfish »

I entered our events last November (2014) and this morning (3/8/15) they are 1 hour earlier (10 am meetings are now showing up with a starting time of 9 am).

I suspect this has been caused from Arizona not observing Daylight Savings time and the DST box is either checked or unchecked, but I cannot find where to verify the status of the calendar's DST setting or to verify if it has been turned off.

Any suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Events off 1 hour (daylight savings time?)

Post by russellhltn »

The system senses your time zone from the browser - that includes DST settings. You might try visiting this site to see what your browser is reporting your time zone as. (It may be slow to load.) If you are entering things from a mobile device, you're at the mercy of the cell sites being correct at the time you enter/view it. And I've been burned on that front.

A number of events in my Android calendar suddenly moved. It turns out a cell site had been handing out incorrect time zone info - correct time, but wrong DST setting. So all my scheduled personal events moved when DST changed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:A number of events in my Android calendar suddenly moved. It turns out a cell site had been handing out incorrect time zone info - correct time, but wrong DST setting. So all my scheduled personal events moved when DST changed.
Verizon strikes again. This is the second time they've done this to me. I may have to take my phone off of "automatic" time zone. I had to go and update a month's worth of scheduling in my personal Android calendar. Good thing I don't do scheduling for church events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I may have to take my phone off of "automatic" time zone.
I already did. My provider changes the time an hour and the time zone shifts one notch in the same direction each time, so I do not let it determine my time zone any longer.
dcefros

Post by dcefros »

This manifested in another way today. On our 2015 calendar, which we had printed and distributed, we had several repeating events that crossed the Nov 1 date. We discovered that all the events from there through the end of 2015 are now off by one hour (the calendar shows them one hour later than what they were scheduled for). Whatever is causing this problem is a change in the system after December of 2014 when we entered them and printed our annual calendars. I am going to manually change these events for the year end so they are correct again, which works for the rest of this year.

However, today I set some 2016 events that repeat monthly for the whole year and as they crossed the magic start of daylight savings (March 13, 2016) the start times were shifted one hour as shown on the attached document. We are on Pacific time and the times should remain the same throughout the year, which they did in past years. This can be worked around for next year, but only by not using repeating events all year, which is very ugly to manage. :cry:
Attachments
Calendar Goofs_2.doc
(162 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

Return to “Calendar”