Lds Tools for Mac

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
thompsonan

Lds Tools for Mac

Post by thompsonan »

Just curious if there are any plans to make the LDS Tools app for the mac?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

AFAIK, LDS Tools is strictly a smartphone thing. I don't think there are any plans for LDS Tool for the PC. We just use the website.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelblairklingler

Re: Lds Tools for Mac

Post by michaelblairklingler »

That last comment from russellhtn is really not correct any more as of March 2015. LDS Tools is available for Windows. It's not quite as advanced as the IOS version but it is coming along pretty nicely. A Mac version would be really nice! Wish apple would let you run IOS apps on the mac! even if it was in a Widget the size of a phone or iPad. However a true mac version would be really nice! Any plans along this line?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelblairklingler wrote:That last comment from russellhtn is really not correct any more as of March 2015. LDS Tools is available for Windows.
You're right. It does need updating. "AFAIK, LDS Tools is strictly a smartphone/tablet thing. I don't think there are any plans for LDS Tool for the PC. We just use the website."

LDS Tools for Windows is for Windows 8.1. The fact that that Windows 8 OS runs on a PC as well as a tablet is nice for the Windows 8 PC owners. But the Windows 7 folks are still out in the cold.

And as I understand it, the Windows effort is completely volunteer with minimal help from church employees. So maybe if a similar group of volunteers were to appear for the Mac, it might happen. But I wouldn't expect the church to do it if they're not actively doing it for Windows.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
michaelblairklingler wrote:That last comment from russellhtn is really not correct any more as of March 2015. LDS Tools is available for Windows.
You're right. It does need updating. "AFAIK, LDS Tools is strictly a smartphone/tablet thing. I don't think there are any plans for LDS Tool for the PC. We just use the website."

LDS Tools for Windows is for Windows 8.1. The fact that that Windows 8 OS runs on a PC as well as a tablet is nice for the Windows 8 PC owners. But the Windows 7 folks are still out in the cold.
I'm quite confident that the motivation for the Windows version of LDS Tools was the smartphones and tablets that run version of Windows. The fact that the same version happens to run on a desktop OS is simply a bonus because of the architecture Microsoft chose for its operating system. The desktop OS was not the motivation for this project (if it were, then the Windows desktop OS, with its huge installed base, would have made this the leading platform for LDS Tools -- but it clearly was not; the motivation was mobile devices).

If Apple had chosen to have the same operating system run on their desktops and laptops as they do for the tablets and phones, then Mac users would have a version of LDS Tools available now. But Apple made a different architectural decision, so Mac users don't get the same lucky benefit that Windows 8 users do.

Return to “Member Tools”