Name wrong on temple records

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
emilycbelanger

Name wrong on temple records

Post by emilycbelanger »

I am a woman, and I did not change my last name when I got married. As of this summer, I verified that both my legal name and my preferred name on Church records were accurate. (That is, that church records listed my legal name, rather than my husband's last name).

My husband's last name is not my last name and never will be. In our ward directory, our household name is hyphenated so that both of our last names are searchable in the list of households.

When I went to the temple recently, my name showed up on the screen, but with my husband's last name at the end, in parentheses. The temple worker thought this meant that my husband's last name was now my last name too.

What do the parentheses mean, and are there any additional records I need to update?

I want to understand what's going on before I speak to my ward clerk, to make it easier for him to fix the problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Name wrong on temple records

Post by russellhltn »

Have him check "Maiden name". You can also ask him to print your IOS (Individual Ordinance Summery) and you can see for yourself.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”