HD cameras

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

HD cameras

Post by craiggsmith »

Now that the new webcasting solution is being rolled out I am anxious to look into a new camera. It would have to be SDI to get the signal to the VDA in the satellite rack, and I see they have an SDI to HDMI converter listed so it appears they are thinking of that. Anyone know what cameras might be recommended?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: HD cameras

Post by russellhltn »

Depending on where the picture will be shown, latency could be an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

It is really going to come down to how would you like to control this camera.

I have been searching for months since my favorite camera was discontinued.

Composite to HDMI will have video lag. SDI to HDMI = No lag --- depending on converter.

SDI is NOT analog. But IMO is the best way forward. No more Visca or Networked cameras. Probably have to switch over to RS485 known as Pelco P or D

Remember, salt lake has locked out the 5Mb upload. No 1080 at all. Decent 720 maybe.
Roland
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rolandc wrote:SDI to HDMI = No lag --- depending on converter.
While there may not be any lag in the SDI to HDMI, if there's any lag in the entire digital process (camera, conversion, distribution, display), you'll have problems.

I'm planning on sticking with SD. Otherwise the stake would have to spend money on a new camera and distribution system which may or may not comply with what the church comes out with later.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Good points. I do have a digital audio mixer with delay I could possibly use to sync things up if needed, but I wouldn't think there would be that much delay; it's a pretty simple path. There was no noticeable delay with the presentations we had last weekend, and that had more processing. There are a lot of people out there doing this sort of thing so I'll have to see what they're doing.

Since our projectors can't display more than 800 there's no need to go higher, and that's not the main issue. One of the issues is color, or lack thereof. Another is aspect ratio; I've had issues when switching sources between a 4:3 camera and a 16:9 presentation. And lastly hoping for something with more precise control.

Right now the camera isn't mounted and I'm just controlling it locally; not sure what we would do in the future.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”