creating an event on a ward calendar versus the building cal

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
packerj

creating an event on a ward calendar versus the building cal

Post by packerj »

My only option when creating events is to select the location (building) calendar to schedule it on, which shows all three wards in my building events. Several people in my ward have said that they cannot see events on our "ward" calendar, only the "building" calendar. I'm not sure how to do this because the only option that shows up on my drop down menu for which calendar is the building one. For example, the relief society president is trying to find availability for activities for our ward, but doesn't want to have to sort through the two other wards events to find ours. She wants to be able to just look at our wards events. But when she does that she cannot see the events I have created because I created them on the "building" calendar. Anyone know how to resolve this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: creating an event on a ward calendar versus the building

Post by russellhltn »

packerj wrote:My only option when creating events is to select the location (building) calendar to schedule it on, which shows all three wards in my building events.
The purpose of a building calendar is to show all events that are scheduled in that building. So seeing multiple wards is normal and by design.

You can't schedule anything on a ward or stake calendar unless you've been given editor rights to the appropriate calendars. Being a Building Scheduler does not automatically grant you that right. Generally, you can't be a editor of a ward you do not belong to. Also keep in mind that any events scheduled on the building calendar will not sync to external devices like LDS Tools.

Bottom line, the old model of one person doing all the scheduling for a multi-ward building is defunct. That model was based on the fact there could be only one authoritative and up-to-date paper calendar. But with the calendar on the web, it no longer needs to be restricted to just one person doing the scheduling.

It really works better if each ward does their own scheduling on their own calendars.
packerj wrote:Several people in my ward have said that they cannot see events on our "ward" calendar,
They need to check their subscriptions. If they are not subscribed to the calendar, they won't see it in the main screen.

packerj wrote:For example, the relief society president is trying to find availability for activities for our ward, but doesn't want to have to sort through the two other wards events to find ours. She wants to be able to just look at our wards events. But when she does that she cannot see the events I have created because I created them on the "building" calendar. Anyone know how to resolve this?
If she's trying to look for an available time slot to hold an event in the bundling, then she really needs to look at the building calendar. She can't ignore the fact that other people are using that building. And the building calendar will show ALL events taking place in that building. That's by design.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”