Ward Clerk signing checks?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
llasater

Ward Clerk signing checks?

Post by llasater »

[Moderator Note: This question was split from the topic Home teaching reporting/mls, since it deals with a separate issue.]

One other question real quick. What is the policy on check signing. Can Ward clerks sign checks? I've heard mixed opinions on this but can't find anywhere in the handbook that Talks about it. Thanks
eblood66

Re: Ward Clerk signing checks?

Post by eblood66 »

llasater wrote:One other question real quick. What is the policy on check signing. Can Ward clerks sign checks? I've heard mixed opinions on this but can't find anywhere in the handbook that Talks about it. Thanks
Yes, a ward clerk can sign checks. MLS will automatically include him on the signature card. If he couldn't sign checks that wouldn't happen.

As a ward clerk, I didn't often sign checks but it did happen a time or two.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

llasater wrote:Can Ward clerks sign checks? I've heard mixed opinions on this but can't find anywhere in the handbook that Talks about it. Thanks
Handbook 1, 14.6.7 talks about who can sign checks. It mentions specifically the clerk assigned to finances. Since the ward clerk has responsibilities over finances (HB1, 13.4.2), it seems clear to me that he can be an authorized check signer.

Note also that the Help Center article The Signature Card specifically says that "Authorized signers generally include ... the ward clerk."
kylehart

Post by kylehart »

Two clerks can sign checks.

The Bishop needs to authorize and approve expenses, but the administrative act of issuing a check can be done by two clerks (or a clerk and a counselor or both counsellors). Bishops are busy enough ministering to the spiritual needs of members as it is.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”