FM Group and TV's and Libraries

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: FM Group and TV's and Libraries

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:It is interesting that the FM community considers a 32-inch LCD TV as large. When we received the first such TV in our stake center, I started using it for presentations in the high council room. However, it is impractical to display the Calendar from lds.org on a 32-inch screen.
I'd note that prior to the arrival of flat screen TVs, you'd probably never think to do a computer presentation on a TV set. TVs were for showing videos, not power points.

I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong, but that the usage has changed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

stevenbaxter wrote:Each TV should be equipped with a VCR or DVD Player, depending on what the materials in the Material Center require.
...so your FM Group thinks the main use for these TVs is showing DVDs and VHS tapes. Sigh. I'm still waiting for that promised DVD (or set of DVDs) produced by the church for the Come Follow Me media. Double sigh.

Meanwhile, in a certain place I know about, the only media used in Sunday lessons is played through a (not authorized) Bluray player that can play downloaded MP4 files through its USB input or an (unauthorized) Apple TV that someone provided or someone will hook a computer up to the monitor's VGA inputs.

What's a VCR? Oh, yes. I've seen one of those at my grandpa's house. :p

From this page... https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/train/news?lang=eng
A DVD containing videos for class use and for teacher training will be available through distribution centers in 2014. These videos can also be downloaded.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

I'm in a stake that does purchase equipment occasionally under the direction of our Stake President. We work with our FM Group and keep them apprised of what we purchase. I don't wish to debate this.

Walmart.com currently has a 32" 720p TCL-Roku TV with the Roku built into the TV for $188 (online only, but stocked in many stores for same day pickup). We find teachers are often confused by selecting the right input on the TV. This TV is very easy to use for playing the videos we keep on a USB flash attached to TV's.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since a combo TV/DVD player showed up, I've grown to love them. No wires, no mess, no tuning to ch3, it just works.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Our FM Group gave us a couple of flat screen TV/DVD player combo units. They have USB ports so you can look at still pictures or play audio directly from a flash drive. But those USB ports do not support playing MPEG4 files, so they're useless for playing videos downloaded from LDS.org unless someone knows how to turn those downloaded files into DVDs… which I do… but I'm getting tired of making a new DVD each month.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

What make and model are the TV's? I ask because some TV's have hidden menus that once accessed, can enable MP4 files to be played via the USB port.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

mrrad wrote:From this page... https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/train/news?lang=eng
A DVD containing videos for class use and for teacher training will be available through distribution centers in 2014. These videos can also be downloaded.
I was in Deseret Book yesterday and there was a Collection of DVDs for Come Follow Me. It just can't keep up with the changes year over year that are put in place.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnshaw wrote:I was in Deseret Book yesterday and there was a Collection of DVDs for Come Follow Me.
The distribution center item #12145000 can be found at store.lds.org at Come, Follow Me: Video Resources for Youth
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Biggles wrote:What make and model are the TV's? I ask because some TV's have hidden menus that once accessed, can enable MP4 files to be played via the USB port.
We have the same problem with our LG 32" ezSign TVs. Apparently the TVs are designed to be commercial sign displays. (http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/lg-ezsi ... -32LD452B/). I was hoping there was a firmware update, but I've not found one.

Many of our members want an Apple TV, but the FM Group and Bishop have nixed that one. My next experiment will be with a Chromecast. The primary concern with these small devices is that they're too easy to carry off.

What about the DVD player itself? Ours are all older models that have composite video. Are there any modern DVD players that can play video from USB? That might work, and are less likely to disappear.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mcallaghan wrote:Many of our members want an Apple TV, but the FM Group and Bishop have nixed that one.
If this is streaming over the Internet, that's not a good idea.

mcallaghan wrote:My next experiment will be with a Chromecast.
See Chromecast not connecting to the internet. If I understand this, you're OK with streaming content from your device, but trying to stream content over the web is no-go. But can you teach the users the difference?

mcallaghan wrote:Are there any modern DVD players that can play video from USB?
Worth checking. Make sure they can play videos. Some years ago I was looking for exactly this, but found the USB port was just for "playing" JPEGs (stills).

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”