WardPlan (New software) and data privacy

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
michaelwforbes

WardPlan (New software) and data privacy

Post by michaelwforbes »

Hi

Do anyone have any idea about the new software/app WardPlan? I don't see that this is a Church approved software. I'm a little concerned that the suggested features of the WardPlan go against Church policy for data protection and privacy. For example, one can use WardPlan to report Home Teaching or write details about the families you are visiting. Where is the information you type in WardPlan stored and how secure is it? One the other hand, is gmail or other email services as secure as WardPlan or even approved by the Church? I ask this question because I know members report their home teaching via email. I would really like to hear your views on this matter.

What I think, is that in the end it comes down to what is Church approved or not, as Church policies explicitly state, when it comes to sharing sensitive data online. If you are to use WardPlan, as a leader, you have to be explicit and explain to the members what data could be shared or not, what is sensitive and what is not.

Links:
https://www.wardplan.com/
http://www.gregtrimble.com/report-home- ... -teaching/

Regards,

Mike, (STS)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: WardPlan (New software) and data privacy

Post by russellhltn »

It seems like it would have to be stored on a hosted server somewhere. And I can't see how it would be useful unless some leader loads ward membership data into that 3rd party server - which is against policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Is there a way to turn them in for not using Church Authorized or approved software. Maybe you could call the Area President or something.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
GregTrimble

Post by GregTrimble »

Brethren -

The app is as secure as any other type of communication we employ for keeping track of our ecclesiastical tasks. Wardplan was built to help ward leaders stay on the same page and to minimize important things from slipping through the cracks. There is no other task management software out there that we know of that is built specifically with the LDS church in mind.

Consider the ways that leaders currently keep track of and transmit data for their respective assignments. They use hotmail accounts that get hacked daily. They use Google docs and spreadsheets that are also hacked on occasion. They carry lists in their binders and then leave them around church and in their cars that can be broken into. They send text messages and post on Facebook groups.

We'll gladly give the code over to the church at the drop of a hat. We love the church and what's ours is theirs. But I personally would rather use an app developed by people that love the church rather than from the Google's of the world.

Blessings,

Greg
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

But the question remains, how does it work? If it requires uploading any kind of MLS or membership information, there's a policy problem regardless of how good the security is.

But if it's more like a task manager, and doesn't require personal information about members, then that would be less problematic.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I gave a look to it and it seems that is not using personal information but Names.
I agree about using more LDS tools as possible. I'm not thinking of digital "Cosher" certificate. Instead an LDS market as Movies and Music already have.
(Sorry for my English).
dpenrod75

Post by dpenrod75 »

The creators of this software obviously don't read dilbert.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

dpenrod75 wrote:The creators of this software obviously don't read dilbert.
Who is he, pray?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

A US Comic Strip that pokes fun at US business in general (and managers and engineers in particular).

http://dilbert.com/
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:
dpenrod75 wrote:The creators of this software obviously don't read dilbert.
Who is he, pray?
A popular cartoon strip about a tech worker and the clueless management he works under. I read Dilbert, but I'm not sure as I understand the reference.

Return to “General Discussions”