Can't visit LDS.ORG on iPad 2!

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
sharpelectronics

Can't visit LDS.ORG on iPad 2!

Post by sharpelectronics »

I am on an iPad 2 running iOS 6.1.3 with mobile safari 6. When I go to lds.org the page starts to load and then safari closes. Other sites ( espn.com or Mormon.org) load but not lds.org. I cleared the temporary Internet files and cookies and don't use a favorite, but it just closes. I am having the same issue on my iPhone 4S with iOS 6.1.3.

I was able to visit the site just last week, but no luck today.

Any ideas??
mevans

Re: Can't visit LDS.ORG on iPad 2!

Post by mevans »

The only thing I can think of is they just redid lds.org. I don't know if there's something in there that could be making Safari choke. Do you have any other web browsers installed on your iPad? If so, try accessing lds.org with one of those. That will help us determine if it's a browser issue.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

Thanks for the detailed information. We heard some sporadic reports on this but couldn't reproduce it on an iPad 1, iPhone 4 and iPad 2. The exact version number will help.
sharpelectronics

My iPad 2 is model is A1395 16GB Wi-Fi. I tried visiting lds.org with a different browser (I downloaded Dolphin since Chrome and Mercury require iOS 7.0 and I think 7.0 will crash my iPad) and I got the same result. LDS.org crashes as soon as the page loads.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

On iOS you don't actually get a different browser. They all use Safari (webkit) behind the scenes, you just get a different skin on top of it essentially.

We were able to scrounge up a device with iOS 6 and are able to reproduce it. I know what the problem is, but am trying to figure out how to fix it without adversely affecting other browsers.

iOS 6 is technically not one of our supported browsers. We support the current browser plus one back of each type of popular browsers. That being said we also want to make sure that people can at least read the content on our site, we just don't guarantee it will be pretty or perfectly rendered. This fits into that category. Our solution will be to try to get the crashing to stop, but the resulting page won't be a perfect representation of what iOS 7 or 8 will see.
chellerella

Post by chellerella »

Same problem. I can't wait to get lds.org back on my ipad2.:).
sharpelectronics

Seems to be fixed! thanks
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

Yes, this should be fixed now. You may have to clear your cache if you are still seeing a crash. The browser sometimes crashes before it can get the updated file.

Again, this won't look perfect, but you can at least get to the site and navigate around.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

sharpelectronics wrote:require iOS 7.0 and I think 7.0 will crash my iPad
There were some problems on the iPad 2 when iOS 7 was first introduced, but those were fixed with iOS 7.1. I am running iOS 8.1.3 on my iPad 2 and it works great! I would recommend updating at least to iOS 7.1.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
chellerella

Post by chellerella »

Thank you for fixing this!

:)

Return to “Main Church Website”