LDS Tool Calendar Not showing Other Ward Activities

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
jiggawax

LDS Tool Calendar Not showing Other Ward Activities

Post by jiggawax »

I have verified this both on Android and iPhone. Basically, in LDS Tools (subscribed to all calendars) I can see only events that members of my ward added or events that a stake calling added. I cannot see events that someone in another ward added. However, in lds.org calendar everything is there.

Any ideas?

Related posts which don't have the answer:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6&p=127563#
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7514&p=60507#

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Tool Calendar Not showing Other Ward Activities

Post by russellhltn »

The calendar on lds.org support "location" calendars - a list of events taking place at a given location regardless of what ward/stake/calendar that event may be placed on. That's typically how you'd see events of another ward.

But as far as I know, LDS Tools doesn't support that. It can only show you calendars you are actually subscribed to. (Meaning your ward and stake-level calendars. Nothing from other wards.)

As a test, sync LDS Tools (so you know it's current) and then compare it to lds.org with all the locations unchecked. Are there still events missing from LDS Tools?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jiggawax wrote:Basically, in LDS Tools (subscribed to all calendars) I can see only events that members of my ward added or events that a stake calling added. I cannot see events that someone in another ward added. However, in lds.org calendar everything is there.
To be clear, I think you say you CAN see all your ward events, just not those events in other wards?
You only can see events in LDS Tools for those calendars you are subscribed to, and are viewing. The difference on LDS.org calendar is that you can also select "buildings" to see which events are scheduling the buildings as well, for help in scheduling other events so they don't conflict.
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
denkers31

Post by denkers31 »

I'm seeing the same issues. It's been hard to quickly view building availability when planning. We end up having to write a bunch of dates down, and going to a computer to see availability with the other ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

denkers31 wrote:We end up having to write a bunch of dates down, and going to a computer to see availability with the other ward.
The lds.org calendar doesn't pull up on your phone/tablet? I can do it on a phone. Not a lot of fun with that small screen, but it's do-able.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
denkers31

Post by denkers31 »

It pulls the building schedule for our ward only on LDS tools. So if we were to see if the building was available Saturday, on lds tools it might show up as being open. Once you go to the calendar through the website, you will be able to see the other ward has scheduled the building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I understand that. My question was can't you use your browser to see the calendar on lds.org without having to find another computer? Yes, it defeats the idea behind LDS Tools, but I'd think event planning is less common then checking to see what your next event is.

Keep in mind that LDS Tools doesn't allow you to enter/edit anything, so you'd have to use a browser to create the event anyway.

kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

denkers31 wrote:It pulls the building schedule for our ward only on LDS tools. So if we were to see if the building was available Saturday, on lds tools it might show up as being open. Once you go to the calendar through the website, you will be able to see the other ward has scheduled the building.
I may be wrong, and I know it's almost "splitting hairs," but what you see is not the "building schedule" for your ward on LDS Tools, but a subset of the calendar events for your ward. You may not even be seeing all of those. Many of your ward events use the building, so you they show for you, but this IS NOT a building schedule. As you say, "it might show up as being open" when it is not.

To see what you are calling a "building schedule," you must browse to LDS.org calendar, and select your building, to see ALL events that are scheduling that building, from any ward. (Even by doing this on LDS.org calendar, you are not actually seeing other wards calendars, only events that schedule the building you have selected.)

Solution? At this time, don't use LDS Tools to plan your future events, just like you won't use LDS Tools to enter those events. Instead, use you mobile devices to plan your events by browsing to LDS.org calendar, and selecting your building (I like "month" view) to see open times.
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I remember years ago when the calendar on lds.org was implemented to replace the one on LUWS. Our new Stake Primary President kept complaining about how hard it was to use the calendar. It turns out she was using her cell phone. I told her to find a real computer if she wanted to do real work.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jiggawax

Post by jiggawax »

Let me see if I can summarize the issue and solutions here:

Problem: LDS Tools != lds.org calendar
Solution: Do not use LDS Tools calendar for any sort of reliable data.

BTW- I have all buildings and all calendar events checked in LDS Tools. That is not the issue. We are talking about events in the same building but from different wards.

Return to “Member Tools”