Transient member records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mdmccool

Transient member records

Post by mdmccool »

We have a member that would be classified as transient. I.e. they live out of their RV and have no really address. How is this recorded in MLS to properly reflect the fact they have no address?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Re: Transient member records

Post by kisaac »

Welcome to the forum! My first thought is to be sensitive to that member by not entering something embarrassing for their address...what you type in the address line will show on the directory and in other places. I say this because I've seen it happen!

Of course, the address field is so your ward members and leaders can find them and minister to them appropriately, and not necessarily for CHQ, in my opinion. Maybe you just enter the information you do have...Do they have a cell phone or email for their contact information that you can enter?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't believe there is any official way to enter "transient". But the address need not be something that is a mailing address.

Something you could consider -setting the privacy setting for his address to "leaders only". Then you only have to worry about reports from MLS. That way, whatever you do enter will be private.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

russellhltn wrote:-setting the privacy setting for his address to "leaders only". Then you only have to worry about reports from MLS.
...and the member seeing what you typed if they log in. I wouldn't type "transient," "prison," etc. for an address, even if set to "leaders only"- I might consider "unknown," or "see the bishop," or a working cell number for them in the address field.
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since he's in a RV, I'd consider putting in "Mobile" for the address. It's truthful and I wouldn't think all that shameful.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

russellhltn wrote:Since he's in a RV, I'd consider putting in "Mobile" for the address. It's truthful and I wouldn't think all that shameful.
and in ward council those that need to know can be informed further
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If they have a family member in the ward, you could put their address. For example:

Address Line 1: ℅ John Doe
Address Line 2: 123 Anywhere Dr.
City: State: Zip: Etc.

Alternatively you could do:
Address Line 1: ℅ Bishop Smith
Address Line 2: 4567 Somewhere St.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mdmccool

Post by mdmccool »

these have all been some good suggestions on how to add the address. The problem is that SLC sent us back the record to the last known address, which at one point was that of another member who was a roommate.
The worst part is the person may be spending their evenings down by the beach in another stake's boundaries.

The bottom line seems to be that there is no standard as to what to do. This can't bee any worse then the records that show up with a PO Box and nothing else to go on.

Thanks again all for the ideas.

Return to “Membership Help”