Child of record adopted to non-member family

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bamamoser

Child of record adopted to non-member family

Post by bamamoser »

We have a child of record of a person who is in and out of prison and lives under a tree when out. The person has lost all parental rights and the child is in foster care and is soon to be adopted to a non-member family. They child's name may be changed at that time. The child will be outside the ward boundaries. What should be done with this record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Child of record adopted to non-member family

Post by russellhltn »

I think Handbook 1: 13.6.23 "Special Situations" covers this.

Handbook 1: 13.6.12 covers adoptions, but in the wrong direction. But I think the message there is wait until it's final and you have as much information as you can get.

I see two possible outcomes if the adoption agency won't provide information about the new home, the child might be moved to "Address Unknown" with a notation of what's happened, or the record will be canceled - possibly sometime after they child turns 18 and hasn't been found.

If you can get information about the adoptive family, then the record can be moved into that ward. And I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the new parents will ask for the child's name to be removed from the records. Handbook 1: 6.14 outlines how that works.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Re: Child of record adopted to non-member family

Post by eblood66 »

bamamoser wrote:We have a child of record of a person who is in and out of prison and lives under a tree when out. The person has lost all parental rights and the child is in foster care and is soon to be adopted to a non-member family. They child's name may be changed at that time. The child will be outside the ward boundaries. What should be done with this record.
I would contact Local Unit Support for advice. If the adoptive family does not give permission to have the child's name on church records it's likely that the record needs to be cancelled. I expect that any permission given previously by the biological parents would no longer be in effect. I don't think that there are any published policies that could answer this question definitively.

Return to “Membership Help”