changing category names

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
woxof@aol.com

changing category names

Post by woxof@aol.com »

we have an "other" account that is named "other scout account" that was set up many clerks ago and been in use for years. I would like to change the name of the account to the "Scout Flag account" since all of the money in this account comes from the scout flag subscription program.

As a follow on to that, we have some old accounts for Girls Camp etc that are named by years that have long since past. How can I delete those old accounts?

Thanks in advance.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: changing category names

Post by lajackson »

woxof@aol.com wrote:I would like to change the name of the account
I am not sure you can change the name of the account once it has been used. I would suggest you establish a new sub-account, and then transfer the funds from the old named account to the new named account.
woxof@aol.com wrote:How can I delete those old accounts?
An account goes away once its balance is zero, it is marked Inactive, and then the financial retention period has expired.

So, transfer any funds into or out of the account so that the balance is zero and then mark it Inactive. After that, it will not show up in most places Financial, and it should go away after a few years.

There was a report in another topic where some Other category sub-accounts were not going away after the financial retention period, but even so you will not see the account or need to worry about it.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:
I am not sure you can change the name of the account once it has been used.
It should be possible (at least it used to be). Go to Finance > Budget > Add/Update Categories on the menu. Find the category you want to rename, right click and select 'Rename' from the popup menu. Type the new name and press enter.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

eblood66 wrote:
lajackson wrote:
I am not sure you can change the name of the account once it has been used.
It should be possible (at least it used to be). Go to Finance > Budget > Add/Update Categories on the menu. Find the category you want to rename, right click and select 'Rename' from the popup menu. Type the new name and press enter.
Yep. This is the process to change the name. I might suggest that instead of renaming it "Flag account" you rename it "Scout Camp," with the year included. "Flag Account" does not indicate its purpose (which is presumably to hold funds from the authorized fundraiser for the approved, specific purpose - the annual camp and/or equipment for the annual camp).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”