daughter of blended family doesn't show up but sister does

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
sasgrw

daughter of blended family doesn't show up but sister does

Post by sasgrw »

The wife has two children from a previous marriage and the kids are in our ward.
The husband has one child with his current wife.

If I view the husband's details and look at the household, his common child (with his current wife) is listed under his 'Children in the Household'. The two children from his wife's previous marriage are listed under his 'Other Household Members'. That all looks good.

If I view the wife's details and look at the household, all three of her kids (the two from the previous marriage and the one with her current husband) are listed under her 'Children in the Household'. No kids are listed under 'Other Household Members'. Again, this looks good.

From the membership list, if I type the husband's last name, the list is filtered to him, his wife, their common child, and *one* of the wife's previous children. The second child from the wife's previous marriage is *not* listed and I can't figure out why.

If I look at the two step-children's records, they have exactly the same information recorded regarding parents and household residing in and such. They both have their mother listed in 'Parents in the Household' and they both have their step-father listed in 'Other Household Members'.

Is there another piece of information that I'm missing?

We have another blended family, similar type of situation, step-children from the wife, but when I type that husband's last name as a filter, all his step-children show up.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: daughter of blended family doesn't show up but sister do

Post by russellhltn »

sasgrw wrote:From the membership list, if I type the husband's last name, the list is filtered to him, his wife, their common child, and *one* of the wife's previous children. The second child from the wife's previous marriage is *not* listed and I can't figure out why.
I'd look at the name fields for that child. I'm thinking their legal or preferred last name might be from the wife's prior marriage.

The other issue is what kind of record is this? A true membership record or child of record, or a temporary membership record (created because the child was already over 8 when recorded.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

I tried to include all the info I had investigated but my post was getting very long.

I had confirmed that the step-children's names are correct. They both have the mother's last name from the previous marriage. They have it both for their 'regular' name and the preferred name.

The blended family joined the church when the two (step) children were young. Records were created for them at that point. Both children were baptized by their step-father when they turned 8.

Both children's records appear to be the same in every respect, which is why this is confusing me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sasgrw wrote:From the membership list, if I type the husband's last name, the list is filtered to him, his wife, their common child, and *one* of the wife's previous children. The second child from the wife's previous marriage is *not* listed and I can't figure out why.
Just so we're on the same page, you're clicking in "Individual record" and then typing the father's last name in the list? What happens if you stop before entering as many letter? (I'm thinking the name might be misspelled. Some of those can be really hard to spot.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

russellhltn wrote:Just so we're on the same page, you're clicking in "Individual record" and then typing the father's last name in the list? What happens if you stop before entering as many letter? (I'm thinking the name might be misspelled. Some of those can be really hard to spot.)
No, I'm in LCR > Membership > Member List. From there I type 3 letters of the last name. The husband, wife, common child and one step-child show up. The second step-child does not show up.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't have access to LCR, so I'm out of ideas. It might be worth checking what happens in MLS. Maybe the different view will show something.

sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

russellhltn wrote:I don't have access to LCR, so I'm out of ideas. It might be worth checking what happens in MLS. Maybe the different view will show something.
Thanks for trying. In the regular ward directory (https://www.lds.org/directory), clicking on the family shows all the kids. I may have to call unit support to see what's wrong with LCR.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It does sound like you're only searching for a member by name. So either something is "off" with the name, or it has something to do with their status (age?). I wouldn't worry about the linking.

sasgrw

Re: daughter of blended family doesn't show up but sister does

Post by sasgrw »

Follow-up. Nothing has changed in the records that I'm aware of but now it works as expected. Either there was a bug in LCR or some sync happened to fix a record.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”