Autosave or Autodraft...

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
pahollow

Autosave or Autodraft...

Post by pahollow »

[Moderator note: this discussion was split out from the Windows 10 Universal App topic, since it deals with a separate issue.]

Hi letters, is it possible to have an autosave feature or drafts for these posts? I just spent more than an hour putting together a post and then I hit submit and it took me to the signin page and the post was lost :(

We are part of a global group and it seems appropriate to have this type of feature!
Last edited by aebrown on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add moderator note to explain move of posts to new forum section
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Windows 10 universal app

Post by jdlessley »

pahollow wrote:Hi letters, is it possible to have an autosave feature or drafts for these posts? I just spent more than an hour putting together a post and then I hit submit and it took me to the signin page and the post was lost :(
The problem you ran into is the LDS Account inactivity timeout. The Church uses this for all the sites that use the LDS Account sign on. It is a security feature. I don't recall how long the timer is because I avoid it for long composition times by occassionally clicking the Preview button. This resets the timer so I can continue working.

Another method to avoid the timer issue is to compose your posts in a plain text editor and then copy and past into a post.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Hi letters, is it possible to have an autosave feature or drafts for these posts? I just spent more than an hour putting together a post and then I hit submit and it took me to the signin page and the post was lost :(
You seem to be overestimating how much power I have. I'm a member of the Gospel Library for Windows team and not part of the moderators here at tech.lds.org. If you have comments and questions for them, they're probably best directed at the "Feedback on tech.lds.org" section of this site. You can get there quickly with the link below:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=24#
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pahollow wrote:Hi letters, is it possible to have an autosave feature or drafts for these posts?
The phpBB forum software doesn't have that feature.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

I get that JD but what I am saying is that it would be great to AUTOMATICALLY save as a draft or even link directly to MS word or a nominated word processor so it could be saved. I also noticed that the is a save as draft button in full (not quick reply) mode...
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

Thanks letters I will post there too...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pahollow wrote:I get that JD but what I am saying is that it would be great to AUTOMATICALLY save as a draft or even link directly to MS word or a nominated word processor so it could be saved.
You are right. It would be great. However, until reality meets with desire, a third method is to occasionally highlight the post and copy it with a Ctrl-C. Then, if or when it disappears, you can just paste most of it back with a Ctrl-V and move on.

It is annoying to get logged out because the server does not know you are typing.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Autosave or Autodraft...

Post by aebrown »

pahollow wrote:Is it possible to have an autosave feature or drafts for these posts? I just spent more than an hour putting together a post and then I hit submit and it took me to the signin page and the post was lost :(
It's a great suggestion, and I certainly sympathize with the pain of losing a post (I've experienced that myself more times than I'd like to admit). However, in general the LDSTech Forum can't add features that are not already in the underlying phpBB software. Since phpBB doesn't have this feature, it's not in the LDSTech Forum.

All I can suggest at this point is that you compose your posts in a word processor, or use some other means to do your own saving of posts along the way.
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

Noted... shall do.

Return to “Help with this forum”