Delete tag categories

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
emwel

Delete tag categories

Post by emwel »

Is there a way to delete or change tag categories titles?
lmcguire

Re: Delete tag categories

Post by lmcguire »

I do not see a way to do mass changes of a tag. If, for example, you have a bunch of items tagged as "agencey" and you want to correct the tag to "agency", I see no way to do that other than one by one. The easiest way I can think of to do that is:

1) Go to Notes > Tags > agencey

2) Tap the first item. Add to it the tag "agency" and remove from it the tag "agencey"

3) Use the "back" button to return to the list of things tagged with "agencey" and repeat for the next item.

I just went to see if the website has a way to do mass changes, and not only can I not find evidence of there being a way, I can't get it to work right...

As for deleting tags, there are three things you could mean by that. See this recent post (where I haven't gotten a reply yet as to which of the three he means):

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=21003

...to remove them from the highlight is easy - get there the same way you would if you were going to tag the item and click the X to the right of the tag you want removed (I assume this isn't what he means).

In my experience, the list in Notes > Tags will remove the item once the tag is removed from all highlights which previously had said tag. You may need to resync, restart, reboot the device, or clear the app cache and then do one of those, or just wait, but in my experience, it only shows terms in use.

As for the type-ahead list which pops up when you choose to tag a new highlight, it's more of a "history" type list than a "what's in use" type list. It also pops up new terms from somewhere (topical guide, dictionary?) as you type, even when those terms are ones you've never ever used. So I don't see a way* to remove items from that list.

*Short of the drastic options: a) Clear the app data and re-download everything - I have reason to believe that if the clearing is complete, this or b may work - specifically, a tag I removed long ago is NOT showing in the list on my virtual Android and the list on the virtual is in a different order as the list on my phone, which is different from my tablet, which implies that the history is device specific; b) uninstall and reinstall the app (if it's still there, your LDS.org account saves tag history, and you're out of luck**, but I think it's not, per (a)); c) hack the app's database to remove them from wherever history is stored (still subject to whether history is stored in your LDS.org account).

**That list appears to be sorted in order of last use, so as long as you don't touch the unwanted item, it will sink farther and farther toward the bottom.

FWIW,

Liz
emwel

Re: Delete tag categories

Post by emwel »

Thank you for your time and explanation.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”