Installation

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
farwest

Installation

Post by farwest »

We have received a new computer and we would like feedback on the best way to setup and install everything.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A new computer for what? Ward/Stake administrative or FHC? They play by different rules.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If you indeed have a new computer provided by the Church there should be no problem setting up the computer. While there is a difference in the configuration of a new computer provided by the Church for either family history center operations or administrative (clerk) computers, the set up of both is provided by the Church. By that I mean both should arrive with the hard drives already imaged with the necessary operating system and software for the basic configuration.

In the case of an administrative computer, it should come with Desktop 5.5 installed or the image discs privided with the computer. If you do receive a computer without Desktop 5.5 installed you can call the global service desk at 866-678-2763 and ask to have the CDs/DVDs sent to you. The Desktop 5.5 discs will come with the installation instructions.

A family history center computer should also arrive with the operating system and necessary programs installed. If the computer is new all you need to do is connect all peripheral devices and turn it on. A newly imaged hard drive will require you to set language and regional settings just as though you had just installed the operating system.

Further questions about installation and setup should be addressed to family history center technical assistance at 866-406-1830. Do not call the global service desk for family history technical support without first going through the FHC technical assistance number.

If you have a unique issue regarding configuration after you have done the initial setup you can key-word search the technology forums for threads on your particular issue. If you do not find a satisfactory answer then start a new post and the forum membership will gladly advise.
farwest

Stake Center

Post by farwest »

This is an installation for replace the old computer at our stake center.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

farwest wrote:This is an installation for replace the old computer at our stake center.
Same question - for use in the clerk's office or the FHC? The stake center usually has both types of computers.
farwest

Post by farwest »

stake clerk office
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would expect it would have come with instructions. Fire it up and see what you find. I'd expect to find Desktop 5.5 on it. Desktop 5.5 is Identifiable with a blue screen that come up for 3 seconds before the Windows XP logo. You'll also find the scriptures and a few other LDS specific programs on it.

It may not have MLS. If it does have Desktop 5.5, but not MLS, go ahead and install MLS.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Transfer of MLS files to the new computer is a simple process of copying the C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS folder to the same location on the new computer. To avoid having to set up the MLS database on the new computer I recommend copying the folder before installing the latest version of MLS. The new MLS install will inherit the data and configuration from your old computer and you won't have to bother configuring MLS on the new computer.
farwest

Post by farwest »

Thanks. When copying the files you are talking about using a floppy?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

farwest wrote:Thanks. When copying the files you are talking about using a floppy?
A floppy might be an option, although many newer computers don't have floppy drives. You'd have to have a lot of floppies and be extremely patient to use floppies anyway.

A much faster option would be a USB drive. A 1GB USB drive was sent along with the Desktop 5.5 installation CDs and instructions for those stakes that upgraded to Desktop 5.5 a year or two ago. So your stake may have one already. I use USB drives for all my backup of MLS and other files on the stake administrative computer. I couldn't survive without a set of USB drives, and they're mighty inexpensive these days, so I would highly recommend that you get some.

Return to “Clerk Computers”