What callings "require" you to have a temple recommend?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
gawing

What callings "require" you to have a temple recommend?

Post by gawing »

We are trying to make a list of callings in a ward/branch of the stake that require you to have a temple recommend, or at the very least be "temple worthy".
For instance, the handbook says that clerks should be temple worthy.
Are there other callings that the handbook says should be held by temple worthy people? This started because we were specifically wondering about bishopic counselors, but we can't find anything in the handbooks.

Note 1: I know it would be ideal if all members were temple worthy, but I'm looking specifically for information in the handbook
Note 2: It would make sense that someone who signs a recommend for others (a bishopric counselor) would have a recommend, but I can't find that information anywhere.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: What callings "require" you to have a temple recommend?

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting question. Taking a quick glance, all I can see is "worthy" for clerks, executive secretary, CES and Church employment. I'm not finding it elsewhere.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gawing wrote:Are there other callings that the handbook says should be held by temple worthy people? This started because we were specifically wondering about bishopic counselors, but we can't find anything in the handbooks.
Handbook 1, 2.1.1 talks about the standards of righteousness that must be exhibited by the bishop and his counselors. Although it doesn't specifically talk about temple worthiness, what's described sure sounds like that level of worthiness. And it specifically says that bishopric counselors should have the same character as the bishop, so if it's safe to assume that a bishop must be temple worthy (and it certainly is), then that section directly implies that counselors must be, too.
tobreth

Post by tobreth »

I taught seminary and was told it was required for that. The bishopric also was very timely about my renewal interviews. I assume it was related to my calling but maybe they are just super proactive.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tobreth wrote:I taught seminary and was told it was required for that.
General Handbook, 15.1.1, states "When possible, [seminary] teachers should be worthy of a temple recommend."
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “General Discussions”