(Stake Conf) Need for a tuner in cultural hall for overflow?

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
nathanhammer

(Stake Conf) Need for a tuner in cultural hall for overflow?

Post by nathanhammer »

The current setup of our stake center allows me to connect my video camera to a camera jack (RCA) and pick it up for a projector in the cultural hall via coax. When viewing a Satelite broadcast I have been using an old VCR with a tuner to get to channel 6 (or 8 for spanish). The same methodology works for my video feed of the pulpit (without spanish of course). The VCR basically provides 2 functions. 1. It translates from Antenna in (coax) to Video out (RCA) which feeds the projector. and 2. It provides the tuning function to get to channels 6 or 8.

The old VCR died DURING my last stake conference (luckily, I live 2 blocks away and retrieved an old one I own). My question is what are my options to bypass this mode of operation? I spoke with the agent bishop and hesitate to find a VCR when it is a dying technology. How can I convert the signal and get it from coax to a format my projector will accept (VGA, DVI, HDMI, RCA)?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: (Stake Conf) Need for a tuner in cultural hall for overf

Post by russellhltn »

What you need is a tuner. But the cheapest way is to buy a VCR off the local thrift store. Be careful of modern digital turners as they might introduce a delay into the picture.

I'm re-purposing an old TeleCaption II closed caption decoder that we were given eons ago to support our deaf group. I don't use it much for it's original purpose as larger TVs have that function built-in now. It doesn't look like the later TeleCaption 3000 or 4000 will work, but the TeleCaption VR-100 looks promising. And there's one on eBay at the $35 range.

For that matter, an old cable set-top box that has video out will likely work as well.

Trying to do anything else can require a bit a re-cabling and I'm not sure the future is all that clear.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I asked exactly the same question in this post:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 58#p121758
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
nathanhammer

Post by nathanhammer »

Dana,

Thanks for the link. Good info. I figured I wasn't the only one but couldn't find your post when I originally searched for info.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”