Retention of patriarchal blessing recommends

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
idjeeper2

Retention of patriarchal blessing recommends

Post by idjeeper2 »

Did some searching and didn't find my answer so I'll post up the question.

I've been cleaning out some file cabinets and found several books containing the canary copies of patriarchal blessing recommends. These go back to the establishment of our ward in 1994 up to 2006.

Is there any reason we should be retaining these records?

Related to this, I've also found ordinance records (blessings, baptisms, ordinations, etc.) going back many years. Should we be retaining those?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Retention of patriarchal blessing recommends

Post by russellhltn »

idjeeper2 wrote:Is there any reason we should be retaining these records?
Not that I know of.

idjeeper2 wrote:Related to this, I've also found ordinance records (blessings, baptisms, ordinations, etc.) going back many years. Should we be retaining those?
As long as they have been recorded, no. However, for a time the "ordained by" wasn't being recorded for Priesthood ordinations. So Priesthood ordinations for a certain time period is of interest. Someone else may have the details. I'm not having luck finding it at the moment.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Retention of patriarchal blessing recommends

Post by lajackson »

idjeeper2 wrote:I've also found ordinance records (blessings, baptisms, ordinations, etc.) going back many years. Should we be retaining those?
I would keep the Melchizedek Priesthood ordination records until I had confirmed that the person who performed the ordination was recorded on membership records still in my unit.

Then I would send the rest of them to the Membership Department at Church headquarters so they could do the same with the rest of them.

The time russellhltn refers to was in the early to late 90s. For Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations performed during that period, it is often difficult to obtain a complete line of authority because a record was not kept of the person who performed the ordination.

Return to “Reports and Forms”