RSS feeds for daily scripture reading

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
sjedwards-p40

RSS feeds for daily scripture reading

Post by sjedwards-p40 »

Would it be possible to use the scripture website to help remind us to read our scriptures on a daily basis? For good and for bad, I check my RSS feeds on a daily basis. Included in my feeds are the lds.org news and spiritual thought feeds. In addtion to these inspiring church feeds, if there was a daily scripture RSS feed I could subsribe to, that would really help me keep my commitment to read the scriptures on a daily basis. The RSS feed would only need to contain a link or set of links to the chapters at scriptures.lds.org. So you would open the feed, click on the link(s), read, ponder, etc. It would certainly be the first feed I go to. Does something like this exist? My cursory searches haven't yielded any results yet.

This idea could also be expanded further. Say you have a goal to read the Book of Mormon in a year's time. A special "BofM in a Year" RSS feed could be sent daily such that if you read those recommended chapters and/or verses, you'd be done within a year. Similarly, feeds for other lenghs of time, say 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and so on could be created. And this could be done for all the Standard Works for various durations. Sometimes, getting through the standard works can seem like a daunting task. But maybe some consistent reminders evenly spaced will help break through that potential mental obstacle. Perhaps scripture reading shouldn't be this effortless but it sure would help me! :)

What are everyone's thoughts? Could this be done?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

What about the idea of sending these reminders through email (which is basically the same as what you are asking I think). I wrote a program while at Linspire called "reminders" which allowed you to add in a bunch of reminders (recurring emails) that would be stored on a central server and then the server would send out the reminders at the correct time. There are commercial versions of this same service available. The idea is that people live by their emails now days and a reminder coming in via email helps you remember important things.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

For those who are MS-based, the new IE 7, Outlook 2007, and Vista have a "Common Feed List." If a RSS feed or several feeds were created, you could subscribe to that feed in the browser, it would go into the Common Feed List, and you could have Outlook import that feed into your inbox as an "email."
jeffvand

Post by jeffvand »

There is a great free product that does this already via e-mail. http://readthescriptures.com/. I used it when President Hinckley issued his challenge to read the BOM before the end of the year! Worked GREAT!
richardkmiller-p40

Post by richardkmiller-p40 »

Visit http://ldssd.org/ (LDS Scripture Daily) to see this idea in action.
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

Thanks for the link there, jeffvand.

I'll be taking a look at that shortly. Looks great so far, though.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Thanks, this is a great site, just wish that they would include the whole text in the feed instead of just a link to it. But it is great resource. Thanks
- David
sjedwards-p40

Great suggestions

Post by sjedwards-p40 »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will give them a try!
bchecketts-p40

ldssd.org

Post by bchecketts-p40 »

I've just added the ability to include the content of the chapter in the RSS Feed on http://ldssd.org/ The feed generator on the home page has a checkbox that enables it

Please let me know if you have any problems or suggestions.

Thanks,
Brandon Checketts
ldssd.org
richmanll
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by richmanll »

Our road map for Web feeds included serialized subscriptions, such as Book of Mormon chapter-a-day.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”