export households from ward directory?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
eblood66

Re: export households from ward directory?

Post by eblood66 »

natelovesyou wrote:Thank you for the very helpful reply! Well, I feel kinda helpless. Perhaps my ward clerk can either fix my permissions, or give me the CSV file every Sunday or something. From my understanding, however, it isn't just the ward clerk that can export it, but also assistant ward clerks and executive secretaries, correct? I've read other comments on this site pertaining to similar issues with LDS Tools permissions for even second counselors who can't do much, so just checking. If I'm given assistant ward clerk or exec. sec. permissions, can I get the CSV myself?
I'm not absolutely sure about access to the CSV export in the Directory but usually assistant ward clerks do have access to this kind of thing. Can you access Leader and Clerk Resources (https://clerk.lds.org)? It not, then you may have a custom calling instead of the standard calling of Assistant Ward Clerk. If so, then you or the ward clerk needs to remove your calling in MLS and make sure it's entered using the standard calling.
gdr538

Post by gdr538 »

I too could not find the export household feature in the Directory as the help system indicated. I was able to get a .cvs file with addresses and coordinates via the Maps section. Just click on the download link near the top of the left panel. I do not have a calling that gives me access to leader resources, so I assume anyone can use it.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

natelovesyou wrote:From my understanding, however, it isn't just the ward clerk that can export it, but also assistant ward clerks and executive secretaries, correct?
To export the CSV file in MLS the user must have administrator rights. Typically only the bishop/branch president and the clerk have those permissions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:
natelovesyou wrote:From my understanding, however, it isn't just the ward clerk that can export it, but also assistant ward clerks and executive secretaries, correct?
To export the CSV file in MLS the user must have administrator rights. Typically only the bishop/branch president and the clerk have those permissions.
This discussion deals only with the export from the Directory, not from MLS. So the permissions are entirely related to the standard calling assigned to the person, not any MLS user permissions.
natelovesyou

Post by natelovesyou »

gdr538 wrote:I too could not find the export household feature in the Directory as the help system indicated. I was able to get a .cvs file with addresses and coordinates via the Maps section. Just click on the download link near the top of the left panel. I do not have a calling that gives me access to leader resources, so I assume anyone can use it.
Thanks for the tip, but I did download the CSV file but when I opened it in an external directory creating program, it's not turning up the right into. The last name field has info like "-111.671771" and then the first name field has the zip code, and the address has the person's name and address. It's odd. I feel like perhaps the program is either outdated, or, the CSV from the maps section is not the same CSV file I'd get from the directory.

For those that know, is there an easy way to export all of the photos too so that they can be applied to the directory? I'm trying to keep this as non-manual as possible but it's turning into a lot of work, just open to suggestions on how to make a directory by apartments.

Edit: I'm trying to use this program, perhaps I should try this one though.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

natelovesyou wrote:the CSV from the maps section is not the same CSV file I'd get from the directory.
It's different. MLS is yet another. Each one is different from the other.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

LDS MAPS has been updated to include this information so that members do not have to create their own maps. The ward map is visible on LDS Maps, or the content can be downloaded from there for use with GPS software.
1. Go to LDS.org and sign in to your LDS Account.
2. Click Resources - Locations and Schedules - Find Your Ward or Branch.
3. When LDS Maps appears, your ward area should be outlined, and the households visible. To export for GPS purposes, simply click on Download, found directly underneath the name of the ward.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

natelovesyou wrote:I am an assistant executive secretary (placed as an assistant ward clerk in MLS) for my ward and would have figured I would naturally have access, according to posts here.
They have added you as a custom position in MLS, so you won't have any special access on lds.org
dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

The problem that I'm having when I download is that the header at the top of the CSV file are wrong when I download from LDS Maps The info that has been enter via Maps (Emergency Response, and Emergency Comments) shows up in the download as (Special Needs and Special Need Comments)
The headers need to be cleaned up.
Emergency Response* Emergency Response Comment* Special Needs* Special Needs Comment*
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

For general church members, the Export function was removed from the Directory in late 2013. They can still print the information. Click on Households on the left side, then the print option is found on the top right hand side. However, the general membership *can* still export the data, but not through Directory. Go to LDS.org - Resources - Locations and Schedules - Find your Ward or Branch. When the map comes up, on the top of the left hand column click Download. It will create a file that can be used for GPS and spreadsheets.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”