Version 2.0.1.4 (Beta) Now on the Windows Store

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

ToManyLetters

Version 2.0.1.4 (Beta) Now on the Windows Store

Post by ToManyLetters »

Below are the update notes from the application.
v 2.0.1.14

This version unifies the code for both the Tablet and Phone versions of the app. Please report any issues that may have been introduced as a result of this unification process via the email link in the options menu.

Thank you for your patience and feedback as we work to make the app more stable and polished. This app is in beta meaning that features, especially new ones, may be buggy or broken. Also, features exposed by turning on "Preview Features" in the options menu are not complete, nor bug free and are "as-is".

New
•Unified Phone and Tablet code base in Universal App (Phone version to be released in the future)
•Added an initial Help Guide in English
•Added attempt auto translate for Help Guide and change log.
•Highlights - Enhanced highlighting features - improved usability when selecting text.
•Highlights - Added highlight chooser when selecting overlapping highlights
•Highlights - Improved usability for removing highlights
•Bookmarks - new Add Bookmark button in the bookmark pane
•Bookmarks - Single tap to invoke bookmark editor when tapping on inline bookmark icons
•Bookmarks - Other usability enhancements
•Bookmarks - Drag/Drop bookmarks from pane directly onto content to update the bookmark
•Notes - Improved usability of many notes features.
•Notes - edit mode can be invoked on an existing note by clicking the pencil icon
•Notes - styling enhancements, title background will match associated highlights from other platforms (ability to associate a note to highlight not available yet in Windows version but planned soon).
•Notes - added a delete option from inside the editor window.
•Notes - added a safety prompt for delete notes.
•Notes - exposed default note visibility (expanded or collasped) in options panel
•Inspirational Messages - Clicking header invokes new page which lists all available messages
•Inspirational Messages - More images available, when possible author is matched with their image.
•Beta Icon with red banner to more easily distinguish between official app and the beta.
•German Language Localization of UI - basic translation work has begun.
•Added annotation synchronization button in options panel
•Made font selector standard available in options panel
•Connected Ctrl-F for search
•New Radial Menu for live pen mode (Preview Feature)
•Use pinch to zoom to change font size (Preview Feature)

Bug Fixes
•Fixed errors in the navigation stack forward/back buttons
•Fixed a long standing bug with History that would prevent preservation of previous date items.
•Fixes to problems in High Contrast themes
•Fixed a bug when long bookmark names/titles would stretch beyond the size of the bookmark editor
•Fixed some incorrect UI translations in Spanish
•Fixed support for some missing legacy iOS highlighting
•Miscellaneous bug fixes and stability enhancements
•Added code to prevent searches from failing if there is a bad index file.
•Added code to handle broken hierarchy in 2015 Youth Curriculum content
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
pahollow

Re: Version 2.0.1.4 (Beta) Now on the Windows Store

Post by pahollow »

The beta is better because of the Preview Features (hymns shows as sheet music etc). Have it on various forms of Windows 8.1 and a Surface 3 with Windows 10 tech preview. All excellent! Noted that tabs is still under construction?

In 7 days from now (21 January), Windows 10 consumer (for my Windows phone also and maybe my Xbox too) edition will be available. It would be simply wonderful if the universal app was ready in even an early rough form so I could play with it across all of the devices and report on the experience - I know it is not a high priority yet...but you know I'm just sayin!
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Universal applications already exist in Windows 8.1. If it were ready to be released on Windows Phone already, it would have been. Anxiety for the release of a Consumer Preview version of Windows 10 isn't going to make it suddenly easier for the coders to work faster. Coding an application as big as Gospel Library takes time. When the new, Windows Phone 8.1 version of the app is ready, it will be ready. Until then, we ask that you have patience.
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

I guess I don't yet understand what a universal app is completely? It was my understanding that once a universal app is written that it just simply works across all windows devices but then read what it was all about here:

http://www.windowscentral.com/what-is-a ... indows-app

So I am once again guessing that there is polishing and fine tuning in the current WinGl app as it has just been written, so that it will work in the just the same way on smaller (and in the case of Xbox) larger screens.

I thought that a single universal app would detect screen size, graphic, OS and memory (ram, rom and storage) resources etc and then adapt - I guess it is where I don't understand programming really. So as soon as the latest beta was published, I immediately looked in the Windows Phone store and only found the current limited and less slick version that is currently installed.

I expect also that when there is one Windows Store in Windows 10 that it will have some type of variation of the universal app dependant on what device the store operates on? Anything you can feedback to increase understanding would be great!
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

It was my understanding that once a universal app is written that it just simply works across all windows devices
That is what Microsoft's marketing arm would have you believe. And, perhaps, if the app we were working on were extremely simple, it might be that simple. But in reality, apps are much more complicated than just flipping a switch between operating systems or screen size. A sizeable number of APIs that are available to Windows 8.1 aren't available or aren't implemented the same way in Windows Phone, for example. The two operating systems have different user expectations for how the app will look and operate. Small performance hiccups on Windows 8.1 turn into performance nightmares on Windows Phone.

In short, yes, we can borrow a sizeable amount of the backend code from Windows 8.1 and use it toward the development of the Windows Phone app. But when we just dumped the code over from Windows to Windows Phone, the interface broke almost completely, with stuff like the settings menu not even functioning in Windows Phone, semantic zoomable pages breaking scrolling, and collections completely tanking the app. Not to mention, we had to make the app actually look like a phone app and function like one.

We have to take this:
windows8_1.png
(450.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And turn it into something like this:
wp_mockup.png
(357.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Trust us, we're excited to get rid of the old app, too. And as soon as we can, we will.
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

Thank you "letters"! Most informative and interesting about the realities of universal apps and to get a snapshot of what will be the phone app will be like too!

So the next question is about an Xbox version (or should I say variation) so that we can work with the FT missionaries and have the GL up on a full screen in our lounge rooms.

Imagine this:

We get a call from the FT missionaries (and in my case this is a real scenario) wanting them to bring over an investigator and then we bring up the GL on our TV in the lounge room ready for their visit. We have added in my collections a folder all the tools like scriptures Gospel Principles manual, discussion booklets and Preach My Gospel, videos etc. and we are ready to provide top level support for them. The missionary department has already started to instruct the missions of the world about this and we talk about the possibility in 5th Sunday presentations and see another indication of hastening the work of salvation!

Also having GL content in the Lounge room for family.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Once Microsoft opens up development for the XBOX ONE, we are, of course, interested in seeing how feasible developing for it will be. As of now, however, XBO development is pretty closed off, app-wise. As I understand it, too, the apps aren't exactly 'universal' at present either.

Even still, as nice as having an app on the XBO would be, the priority right now belongs with the phone and tablet. XBO won't even get a serious look until we've got solid, feature parity-reaching versions of the app for both the Desktop/Laptop/Tablet and for the Phone.
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

Thanks again Letters. We MAY get some information about Windows 10 XBO this week see http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-h ... hat-expect
Let's keep a close eye on this Windows 10 thing even if, as you say it is critical to bring parity to the phone, mobile slate and PC's. Bye the way, The latest beta is no longer working on the Win 8.1 32 and Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3...even though it was at one point.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

I keep a very close eye on tech news. I've got multiple alarms and a calendar event set for the Windows 10 event on Wednesday. You can trust me to keep up with the news.
Let's keep a close eye on this Windows 10 thing even if, as you say it is critical to bring parity to the phone, mobile slate and PC's.
Don't believe I've said this. The opposite, in fact. We're working on a new WP version for Windows Phone 8.1. We're not waiting for Windows 10.
Bye the way, The latest beta is no longer working on the Win 8.1 32 and Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3...even though it was at one point.
A recent catalog update wreaked havoc on the application. We're currently working on a solution to prevent future issues like this one, but for now, the best solution is to uninstall and reinstall the application.
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

I have uninstalled then reinstalled the beta app then the final 8.1 version. Did not help with the latest beta but the final 8.1 version works okay. No preview features such as the sheet music hymns.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”