Chromecast not connecting to the internet

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
paulw

Re: Chromecast not connecting to the internet

Post by paulw »

I recently tested both a Chromecast and Roku (3) at our stake center and had no issues with either of them.
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

Using devices on the Meetinghouse Network that stream video from the Internet is not advised. Streaming video on the MH network can cripple network performance, and some video streaming devices have vulnerabilities that may affect the security and reliability of the MH network. Whenever possible media content should be remotely downloaded, then locally displayed in the MH rather than being streamed live from the Internet. If video streaming devices are used, they should be used at times that will not adversely affect members and leaders of the meetinghouse.
dczwygart

Post by dczwygart »

If you have android you can actually cast your screen no matter what app you are in to the screen. I use this from time to time to cast the screen from my phone to sing songs for FHE. So this works great for those using android just like the apple tv can be used as an extended screen for the newer models of Macs. I have a new imac and I use our TV as an additional monitor which includes the sound.

As for the chrome cast connecting to the internet the below should aid in forcing the correct dns servers.

Can the cisco firewall handle a dns masq to reroute the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the the church dns servers so that it will work?

something like the below in the iptables of the firewall would allow the chrome cast to work.

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 8.34.34.92
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 8.35.35.92

I would also suspect * would work too in the ip tables.

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d * -j DNAT --to-destination 8.35.34.92
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d * -j DNAT --to-destination 8.35.35.92

This would allow Chromecast to work and force any dns settings to go through the church dns servers(filterings).

As far as what would work best for each situation depends on what the teachers are going to use either an apple or android. If apple then the apple tv would be best to use and if they have android(tablet or phone) then chrome cast would work to cast to the screen.

Obviously with both some additional setup would be required but i think this is something that could really help teachers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dczwygart wrote:Can the cisco firewall handle a dns masq to reroute the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the the church dns servers so that it will work?
You'd have to ask the church IT department. The Cisco is password protected and I don't think they give out the password.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dczwygart

Post by dczwygart »

russellhltn wrote: You'd have to ask the church IT department. The Cisco is password protected and I don't think they give out the password.

Ah I was hoping that they trolled the forms...
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

I am on the latest Router version (I am STS). I purchased a ChromeCast basically the second it was available (got the 3 freeing hd of Netflix). I set it up and didn't like it. I took it to Church last Sunday (having not read this post) and set it up. It updated itself to the latest version. I then borrowed an Android device from a member and was able to cast videos from LDS Gospel Library without any problems.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I found this late, and it is important that this get resolved, as Chromecast is now number 2 in total sales behind Roku, and if what I observed at a Walmart just before New Years Day is any indication, it's probably going to overtake Roku in sales fairly soon.

Basically, a display that had at the Orem Walmart that could hold about 40 or 50 Chromecast packages was completely empty. Roku did equally well, only one was left.

The DNS configuration could be set to allow the two specific DNS points that Chromecast needs I think, and that would allow those to work, the DNS things would not allow other material to go to or from the meetinghouse via those two IPs.

If so, a member could just bring the one they had from home, and use it to more easily cast something from their laptop, right now you have to connect the laptop to the TV and then rig things ahead of time, with a Chromecast, you just cast the material on the laptop to the TV. It's that easy. Then, at the end of class or the event, they would just simply remove the Chromecast from the TV and take it back home.
alanmisbach

Post by alanmisbach »

I'm afraid I don't have anything to add to this conversation other than to say thanks to all who are working to get chromecast to function in our meeting houses. We really need it and it's frustrating to see folks try to make it work to no avail. Our ward purchased two chromecast units only to be saddened to find they are useless in our building. Until it is remedied they'll gather dust in the clerk's office. To anyone who has the clout to make this happen I'm sure I speak for many who will sing your praises when this important task is accomplished. Thank you!
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

alanmisbach wrote:I'm afraid I don't have anything to add to this conversation other than to say thanks to all who are working to get chromecast to function in our meeting houses. We really need it and it's frustrating to see folks try to make it work to no avail. Our ward purchased two chromecast units only to be saddened to find they are useless in our building. Until it is remedied they'll gather dust in the clerk's office. To anyone who has the clout to make this happen I'm sure I speak for many who will sing your praises when this important task is accomplished. Thank you!
Where are you located? Maybe someone who lives near you on this forum would be able to try and help.
bhorsley

Post by bhorsley »

I tried today with the same result.

Once connected to wifi it states it does not have an Internet connection.

This would be so useful in our meeting house. With the programing done in gospel library you can download your video, and stream it from your mobile device to the chromecast thus not using the wan pipe from the isp.

What's the best way to get the firewall changes? Why are some meeting houses working and some not?

I believe it is the dns problem.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”