User's middle name showing up when sending email from web site

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
SingerGuy

User's middle name showing up when sending email from web site

Post by SingerGuy »

I'm the stake admin and just had this brought to my attention by a ward member. When she sends email through the site it shows her Middle Last as her name rather than her First Last. I changed her preferred name to just her first name and that fixed the problem. Since I've been using a preferred name of Bob since the earliest days I had not noticed this problem before. Sure enough, if I remove my preferred name then try to send email it goes out as my Middle Last as well.

I looked back through several pages and did not see this reported anywhere else.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Have you sent a feedback, or do the LUWS developers read this thread?
SingerGuy

Both, actualy

Post by SingerGuy »

lajackson wrote:Have you sent a feedback, or do the LUWS developers read this thread?
I'm doing both ... just in case. This is big enough that it should definitely be pointed out and fixed.
mprusse

User's middle name

Post by mprusse »

I have noticed this for a couple of years and from time to time it has been reported. I don't know a solution. Did you find anything out?
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

macsense wrote:I have noticed this for a couple of years and from time to time it has been reported. I don't know a solution. Did you find anything out?
Yes. The only recommendation is to have the users go in to their profile (or the admin do it for them) and change their preferred name to just the first name. When there is a preferred name it shows that, otherwise it uses the middle name.

My reply consisted of "we're looking into it."
ShirtsDre

We're working on that...

Post by ShirtsDre »

lajackson wrote:...do the LUWS developers read this thread?
I am one of the few developers on this project. Yes, we do occasionally peruse the threads. This issue has been reported. No, I haven't looked into it yet. Yes, I will.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
ShirtsDre

Give Examples Please:Middle Name in Email Alias

Post by ShirtsDre »

Please provide examples of which routes you take to send email (e.g. news and announcements, email popups from ward directory, etc...) This should help narrow down the codeset with the issue.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
SingerGuy

Re: Give Examples Please:Middle Name in Email Alias

Post by SingerGuy »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:Please provide examples of which routes you take to send email (e.g. news and announcements, email popups from ward directory, etc...) This should help narrow down the codeset with the issue.
It happens when the member wants to send an email to another member of the stake using the web site. When they click the email icon of the other member they see their middle name, last name in the From: field unless they have filled out the Preferred Name field. It also happens when I (with a preferred name) send
an email to a non-preferred member. My preferred name email goes to a middle name member.
SingerGuy

Re: Give Examples Please:Middle Name in Email Alias

Post by SingerGuy »

SingerGuy59 wrote:It happens when the member wants to send an email to another member of the stake using the web site. When they click the email icon of the other member they see their middle name, last name in the From: field unless they have filled out the Preferred Name field. It also happens when I (with a preferred name) send an email to a non-preferred member. My preferred name email goes to a middle name member.
I have moved to a new Ward since posting the last. I tried to send an email this morning to a member of my new Ward and noticed that the email was addressed to his middle name, so this bug still exists. Just an FYI.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”