Windows Server in the church??????

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
marc.brejcha

Windows Server in the church??????

Post by marc.brejcha »

I am looking to use my current skills right now to help the church but a lot of the tech here seems to be focused on the mobile and programming side of the house. I know a lot about Windows Server technology and PowerShell (current job is project planning and security for a 800,000 user domain). Does our church run a domain or something that I can get involved with? I know we have computers at the meeting houses but are they stand alone PCs or are they connected to a domain?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows Server in the church??????

Post by russellhltn »

marc.brejcha wrote:I know we have computers at the meeting houses but are they stand alone PCs or are they connected to a domain?
Standalone. Same for FHCs (although local FHCs might create their own setup.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marc.brejcha

Post by marc.brejcha »

Is there any plans for making the church a domain or just continue to have standalones? I think there is a benefit of having a unified domain as we can patch machines, apply standard security policies, etc...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not in the position to know of any plans. But how would they add all those machines to the domain without handing out a domain login to a whole bunch of STSs?

Currently management is handled via third party tools like Tivoli.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Indeed. User management on such a wide domain would be a headache. We already use Tivoli to perform patching and other management features.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
marc.brejcha

Post by marc.brejcha »

That is neat! It would be a headache at first but once created, it would make security much simpler in the end.

I have never played with Trivilo before. What things can you do with it? Does it set up a cloud base network with the clients or something? Can you do security policy (local group policy) enforcement to make sure everything is up to snuff? Just curious more than anything right now.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure. Despite my exalted title, I'm just a forum rat who kept hanging around so they put me to work. :) I don't have any deep insight as to what the church is doing. I'm pretty sure they are able to use it to run scripts with admin rights so there isn't much they can't do. Maybe not as easy as with domain tools, but they can do it.

For example, I know they've run scripts to rename computers according to the unit number found in the MLS data.

dudleygrantbutt

Post by dudleygrantbutt »

from what I can tell the architecture is to have secured REST services and things get done via webapps and mobileapps worldwide. Perhaps the place for a network would really be HQ offices. The rest of us will be fine to access remotely via browser etc
Having a global domain etc would ideally mimic a corporate organisation, but not sure its needed at meetinghouse level right now.

Return to “General Discussions”