Deep Freeze questions

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
jasondivy

Deep Freeze questions

Post by jasondivy »

We've been having issues lately with missionaries on the FHC computers, and are looking at installing Deep Freeze from the FHC App Finder. A cursory search indicates that Windows 7 is probably supported.

When we looked into this before, it was going to be a hassle. Firefox (for instance) was not yet supported by the church, and we didn't want it running a new update after every reboot (and there was no obvious way to do a CLI update).

What kind of issues can we expect to look forward to? I take it there are ways to exclude given paths. Do we need to exclude Browser directories, for instance? How do Windows updates work? Java? Flash? Adobe? ad infinidum... What software misbehaves, or what behavior catches people off guard and causes problems?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Deep Freeze questions

Post by russellhltn »

I don't run it myself - but as I understand it, you'll need to thaw it periodically to do the updates. And you probably want to disable in-app updates since it will want to update itself after every boot until you do the thawed updates.

So taking a different tact - what kind of problems are you having? The missionaries shouldn't have admin access to the computers. I run our patrons with "user" (not "power user") rights which limits the kinds of problems the can get into.

And I wouldn't dismiss a call to the mission president. Judging from what our MP has said to our leaders in meetings, If the missionaries are being disobedient, he wants to know about it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

I have used DeepFreeze extensively in a public library setting and the simplest way to make Java, Adobe, etc not annoy people is to turn off all updates, then manually update software monthly.
One way we used to do this in the libraries was to use http://www.updatefreezer.org/
If you do install it, make sure you setup the Deep Freeze Console, that makes it MUCH easier to thaw computers.

Aaron Z
mbellislds

Post by mbellislds »

It's best to turn off automatic updates for Windows and Applications.
One problem I've encountered because Window's Update was enabled is with an update that requires a 'Restart'.
A Boot-Loop can occur because the update is gone after a reboot and it does the install of the update again with each boot and then restarts again.
Setup the Deep Freeze console to do the updates. It thaws then Freezes when done.
Or plan for routine manual OS and Application updates.
jsfriedman

Deep Freeze Still Available?

Post by jsfriedman »

DeepFreeze has disappeared from the FHC software portal. Anyone know where to get it plus the license?

Had to re-image one of my FHC computers. Installed my existing DF WS-Client but no license.
jsfriedman

Re: Deep Freeze Still Available?

Post by jsfriedman »

Another note: Found the DF license I had from 2014 - it is no longer valid.
CaldwellZ

Post by CaldwellZ »

Deep Freeze is no longer licensed or distributed by FS - apparently because of some compatibility issues with Win10 (probably including the spontaneous boot-loop problem) and some other critical software. But if it was, it would have likely still been in the FHC App Finder. Hopefully they'll evaluate and approve a replacement at some point but it doesn't seem to have happened quite yet.

Return to “Family History Centers”