Some annotations do not appear in online scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
benjachristensen

Some annotations do not appear in online scriptures

Post by benjachristensen »

The online scriptures sometimes don't display all the notes that I've entered in the iOS version - even when those notes have in fact synced. For example, I am currently signed in and open to Moroni 10 in the online scriptures (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/moro/10?lang=eng). I made a note yesterday on verse 3 in my iOS app; that note shows up in Notes and Journal (https://www.lds.org/study-tools?lang=eng&clang=eng). However, no highlights or notes appear in the online scriptures view of Moroni 10 for that verse, although they do show notes for Moroni 10:1 that I a made at a different time.

I submitted this feedback online but have discovered more and think it may be more useful here. I noticed I get the same behavior with another note I made weeks ago, in Ether 2:25. Both this one and that one included cross-reference links entered in my iOS app, as well as underlining, tagging, and notes. I know you can't edit links in the online scriptures version; might there be some bug which prevents those annotations from even displaying if they have a link included?
mevans

Re: Some annotations do not appear in online scriptures

Post by mevans »

benjachristensen wrote:I submitted this feedback online but have discovered more and think it may be more useful here.
From what we're told, the online feedback is important, as it's the only thing that is officially routed to the team; however, posting here often times gets community help and/or acknowledgement of the issue. Sometimes my post to the feedback is to include a link to a particular thread here. The church team in charge doesn't necessarily read this forum.

Lately we have seen several posts from PamelaBonta here who has self-identified as being a volunteer on the LDS Response Team.
benjachristensen

Thanks for the note. I'll submit another more detailed feedback notice (no reply from the first one yet). I narrowed the problem down to the link issue I mentioned. If I create a note on a verse without links from iOS, I see it in the online version nearly immediately. As soon as I add a link, it disappears as an annotation in the online scriptures, although it still appears in the Notes & Journal page.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

All of the study tools are works in progress. The goal is that eventually all of the study tools will be the same. In the meantime, everything syncs to the LDS Cloud, so when new features become available on a platform that were already available elsewhere, the data should sync.
benjachristensen

Thanks for your reply. I am very familiar with the varying features, and the fact that the online scriptures do not support Links. This is actually a very different behavior - adding a link (via iOS) to a pre-existing highlight/note, which previously displayed in the online scriptures, makes that highlight /note disappear entirely in the online scriptures, although it remains visible in the notebook (just not in the actual scripture). I actually have been going back in forth with the online response time from lds.org over the past week and they just confirmed today that it appears to be a previously unrecognized bug - glad I'm not just crazy! Hopefully will be resolved in the foreseeable future. Thanks, all.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Yep - that was me. :) You are definitely not crazy - I have let the 'right people' know. :)

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”