Upgrade request for toggling events on/off

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
cabrooksby

Upgrade request for toggling events on/off

Post by cabrooksby »

With the new calendar update, we now see all events that have a building resource scheduled in both week and month view. This will be a help to many in the stake that use the calendar and did not understand they could see all events only in week view before. However, for some of us like me (the stake clerk) who understands how the calendars work, this now adds a lot of events to the month view that can not be hidden any more! When we un-check a calendar on the left of the screen all it does in just change the color display of the event. This does not help clear things off the calendar so it is easier to see/find what I am looking for. Could the programers come up with a way (for at least Building Schedulers) to toggle calendars/events on/off so that we can see/find things on the calendar easier? Thanks for your consideration on this request.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Upgrade request for toggling events on/off

Post by aebrown »

cabrooksby wrote:Could the programers come up with a way (for at least Building Schedulers) to toggle calendars/events on/off so that we can see/find things on the calendar easier?
All you need to do is to select/deselect the location checkboxes (just as you do in Week View) to show or hide events taking place in the location.
cabrooksby

Post by cabrooksby »

Yes, but that turns off ALL events at that location. That does not really help competely. I am often looking for events in a building that have a lot of events scheduled in them.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cabrooksby wrote:Yes, but that turns off ALL events at that location. That does not really help competely. I am often looking for events in a building that have a lot of events scheduled in them.
Personally, I leave all the locations unchecked for my normal use of the the Calendar. Then I see only the calendars I am subscribed to, which is the calendars I am mostly interested in. And I can even deselect some of them if they clutter the display too much. In the normal course of events I don't care what some other ward is doing in the building, or what private events might be happening.

Only when I go into scheduling mode do I check the location box. Then I can get a better view of what the building is being used for, and what time slots might be available for an event I'm trying to book in the building. I often deselect all my calendars when I do this so that I can focus on just what's happening in the building (but before I book the event, I turn those calendars back on so that I can avoid overlapping events that might take place in different places).

I'm not sure I understand what additional view options you would like that are not already available. Could you help me understand what you are looking for?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to use the "none" link to turn off all locations. With all the locations off, the view becomes just like the old month view.

If you want to see what's going on at a building, click "none" for both location and calendar and then check just the location of interest. If you turn on the restrictions as well, it becomes like old the restrictions calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cabrooksby

Post by cabrooksby »

aebrown, your explanation helps. I get it now. :) It works like I would like it to by turning off the Locations! I was just turning off Calendars and with Locations still on they calendar events still show, they just change color. So turning of Locations was the secret. Thanks.
russellhltn wrote:You might want to use the "none" link to turn off all locations.
I don't see a 'none' link for the Locations. Just the Calendars. That is OK, as there are just a few of them. :)
russellhltn wrote:If you turn on the restrictions as well
I don't see how you turn on/off restrictions. What are you talking about here? I don't like restrictions and don't encourage the use of them (if people want to schedule something, then schedule it! Thus, Events!) so maybe that is why I don't see this??
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cabrooksby wrote:I don't see how you turn on/off restrictions. What are you talking about here? I don't like restrictions and don't encourage the use of them (if people want to schedule something, then schedule it! Thus, Events!) so maybe that is why I don't see this??
The check boxes for seeing restrictions are visible only if you have expanded the view by clicking the >> button at the top right corner of the panel on the left side that contains the locations and calendars. And you also have to check the "Show" box for the "Restrictions" box to appear.

Once the Restrictions check box appears, you can check it to show restrictions for that location, and uncheck it to hide restrictions for that location.

Even if your stake doesn't use restrictions, the above steps will allow you to see the Restrictions check boxes. But if you don't have any restrictions, then checking or unchecking that box will make no difference.

Return to “Calendar”