Anti-websites, What are we doing about it?

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
willardgmoore

Anti-websites, What are we doing about it?

Post by willardgmoore »

What is being done about websites that are going against the handbook rules?(Book 2, 21.1.22) There are lots of sites out there that are claiming to be the church like mormonsformarriage.com. Is there a place to report those sites. I realize that some of them are not as misleading as others, but I hope there is more that we are doing about it. I don't know what options there are but I feel like waiting until the domains expire and then buying them before they get renewed sometimes.
-Willard Moore
johnshaw

Re: Anti-websites, What are we doing about it?

Post by johnshaw »

Wow... this seems icky. But it seems that if you need to talk about it, you can tell your Bishop. That is the correct priesthood line of authority to follow. He'll talk to the SP, and the SP can talk to the GA's if needed.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Handbook policies aren't legally enforceable. The church doesn't have legal trademark rights to the term "Mormon" or "LDS" – so if a person wants to create a website using these terms, they can. The church could send them a request asking them to change the name of the site, but if the site owners don't want to, they probably won't.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
joeneuman

Post by joeneuman »

In that same section it states.

"[Members] ... may create websites, blogs, or social media profiles to assist with their callings. When doing so, members must include a disclaimer such as “This is not an official website of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” and comply with the following guidelines:"

I just wanted to make it clear that we can in fact create websites, blogs, or social media profiles and are in fact encouraged to do so with in the guidelines.

Return to “Links & Resources”