Emergency Communications

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sasguy

Emergency Communications

Post by sasguy »

I'm trying to get my bearings on a project which aims to provide messaging services in event of an emergency. We were considering SMS messaging on the order of the service now provided for the Missionaries in our area: the Elders may receive a mass text in case of emergency, as well as report status. I didn't find any discussion of just how that service was implemented here.

Ideas, requirements:
1. Stake and Ward Leadership should be able to mass email and SMS message members and response groups (Stake EP Committee, High Council, High Priests, Elders, Relief Society, Construction, Medical, Fire, Ham operators, etc.)
2. Members should be able to SMS a "check-in" with Stake and Ward leadership, perhaps tagged with GPS location.
3. Other connections - I could see connections of various kinds from Ham operators (text and APRS systems) to SMS and web tracking
4. We should be able to manage the contact information, groups, and indviduals with authority to broadcast messages centrally.

Much of this is possible to set-up group SMS for an individual, with a little effort, for a single phone and individual, but I think this may be painful to share, replicate and manage. I don't think that this could easily provide the sort of check-in service I have in mind. I thought an out-of-area server acting as a reflector for text messages might provide the best architecture.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of system? I know commercial providers exist - any experience or recommendations? Comments so far as make vs. buy? Concerns?

Thanks all -
James Taylor
johnrichardmuir

Re: Emergency Communications

Post by johnrichardmuir »

I have been doing some work on this in the Oakland Stake, and would be happy to share thoughts regarding the points you have outlined above. Direct contact is johnrmuir1@gmail.com
sasguy

Post by sasguy »

This has become somewhat less urgent for us - momentum was lost as soon as engineering began. I'm still very interested, though, if you'd like to discuss this with me. feel free to contact me at ecgguy@gmail.com

James Taylor
mkeamo

Post by mkeamo »

You could create an email account (I use Google) and let different people share the sign in information. Then you could create a form (or do it manually) of name, email, phone number and phone carrier. Then create different groups with contact number, emails, or both. Then send it out. If you put the phone number with the right subdomain you can send a text through email and its free. I posted some below. Let me know if you have questions or if that is what you wanted.

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com
Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com
US Cellular: phonenumber@email.uscc.net
SunCom: phonenumber@tms.suncom.com
Powertel: phonenumber@ptel.net
AT&T: phonenumber@txt.att.net
AT&T MMS: phonenumber@MMS.att.net
Alltel: phonenumber@message.alltel.com