Recording of Newly Called Bishop

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bluefish

Recording of Newly Called Bishop

Post by bluefish »

I'm a Stake Clerk and just trying to confirm how a newly called Bishop gets recorded in MLS.
I know the calling is approved by the First Presidency - and the letter received from them simply states that once the Stake President has called/ordained/set apart the new Bishop, that MLS needs to be updated. My question is to the specifics of who normally would do this, and where.... Does the Stake President need to take action somewhere (in MLS or CDoL?) to record the event?? I think, as Stake Clerk, I don't have ability to record the new calling... Whatever the correct steps are, I would like to understand them myself such that i can help others involved know how things should happen. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
bluefish

Re: Recording of Newly Called Bishop

Post by bluefish »

Looks like I might have finally found my own answer... please confirm if this is correct!
Looks like I (Stake Clerk) go to a Leader and Unit Change Request screen in the Stake level MLS to record the new Bishop. I would also need to record his counselors, I would think (I don't have the screen(s) available to me until I can go over to the Stake Center....)
The Stake MLS update should then update CDoL and provide the new Bishop appropriate L&CR privileges...
Is the above close to correct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

LUCR is correct.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bluefish

Post by bluefish »

Thanks!
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

There is an article on this topic, "Record a New Bishop" in the Help Center:

https://www.lds.org/help/support/record ... p?lang=eng
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bluefish wrote:Looks like I (Stake Clerk) go to a Leader and Unit Change Request screen in the Stake level MLS to record the new Bishop. I would also need to record his counselors, I would think (I don't have the screen(s) available to me until I can go over to the Stake Center....)
As others have indicated, you are correct about how to record the bishop. But you don't need to record the counselors (and indeed you can't do so at the stake level). That is simply done in ward MLS, just like any other ward calling.
natecottle

Post by natecottle »

Be sure and run a Send and Receive Changes right after to submit the name to church headquarters. If you don't, it will default in a day or two.

They will confirm the change and then it becomes permanent in the system.
douglasaaronhand

Post by douglasaaronhand »

MLS has changed since this was posted. The "Bishop" tab is no longer available.

Can someone direct me to where we now record the changing of a new bishop?

Thanks,
Ted
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

If you are on LCR 3.0 then you can record the new bishop there. If not you should be able to record it in the stake MLS.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jonesrk wrote:If you are on LCR 3.0 then you can record the new bishop there. If not you should be able to record it in the stake MLS.
Just so some clerk doesn't come behind me and bang their head on the same wall: If your new bishop was ordained a High Priest and then immediately thereafter ordained and set apart as a Bishop, the High Priest ordination must be recorded before the calling to Bishop can be recorded. Otherwise you get an error that no person matches the search (in LCR 3.0).

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”