Educating Members

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
wrigjef

Educating Members

Post by wrigjef »

In a number of wards that I've been in there's a common misunderstanding about the church website tools and security. I find that often members are afraid of posting pictures, verifing map data, and many even limit visability. I know it's their choice and the church makes it easy to exercise your right to feel comfortable but it leaves the directory less useful for those of us that rely on it to identify and contact our assigned home or visiting teaching contacts. Back when I was clerking, I used the website to contact people and had to make many trips to the church because someone was afraid to display their info. Like I said, I know it's their call but many don't understand that only people with member numbers in the same stake can see your info. Everyone that signs up for an LDS account clicks that button promising that they will only use the information for church purposes. Yes they could not be honest about it but many of these people also sit in other interviews that rely on honesty.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to let members know the realities behind the website tools and security.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Educating Members

Post by russellhltn »

I think the first thing I'd try to get a handle on is just who are they worried about? After all, there's always hackers.

I'm of a thought that people are practicing "need to know" and simply limiting the information as much as they can without a specific concern. I'm not sure as there's a way around that. Nor can I think of a way of showing them that hiding that information will come back around to hurt them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Understood it's just that, as I'm sure many on this forum can attest to, the Church spends signifficant resources providing usable resources to aid in the operation of the Church and the ultimate Goal. These resources are not as usable as they could be without sharing and honestly using information.

Maybe another knowlegable member can enlighten on the historical impact of hacking into the system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wrigjef wrote:Maybe another knowlegable member can enlighten on the historical impact of hacking into the system.
On that front, I think the issue is perception and what's reported in the news media. I don't think it's church-specific. I think the perception is if it's on-line then the hackers can get it.

From what I've observed, most people are willing to divulge information if they get some kind a benefit. Offer special deals and people will give you their email. I don't see most members benefiting from having their information in the church directory. But perhaps they can see the benefit of being able to reach others that way and that might cause them to reciprocate.

I'd be curious as to what people in the UK have tried. With them being opt-in, they've got a far bigger issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

wrigjef wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to let members know the realities behind the website tools and security.
I agree that the tools available are underutilized. I also agree that it is vastly more difficult in most other countries of the world where members must opt in. And I agree that there are great benefits when the system is properly used.

But telling members the realities behind the website tools and security will not convince anyone to participate. They have to develop their own level of trust that members generally are honest and that their data will be protected.

I believe the Church has gone to great lengths to protect the privacy of members and their information. I also believe there are too many members who have no concept of privacy and propriety.

And so the ones who do understand and value the concept will hesitate to participate.

Return to “Church Account”