"Other" category enhancement

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dajoker

"Other" category enhancement

Post by dajoker »

While dealing with various issues for scouts and girls camp we regularly forget to verify the balances in the Other category before depleting them and sending them into the negative range which requires cleanup we would rather avoid. While it's getting less and less frequent, would it be possible to have an error, warning, or just some obnoxious popup whenever a check is going to send an "Other" subcategory into the red? Maybe make it possible to bypass in case additional funds are known to be on their way but at least something that lets the clerk know they are doing something potentially silly? That would be great!

Thanks.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

dajoker wrote:While dealing with various issues for scouts and girls camp we regularly forget to verify the balances in the Other category before depleting them and sending them into the negative range which requires cleanup we would rather avoid. While it's getting less and less frequent, would it be possible to have an error, warning, or just some obnoxious popup whenever a check is going to send an "Other" subcategory into the red? Maybe make it possible to bypass in case additional funds are known to be on their way but at least something that lets the clerk know they are doing something potentially silly? That would be great!

Thanks.
Not to state the obvious, but ...

Until or unless something like this is implemented in MLS, it isn't difficult to keep a paper or mental note about the current balance in the relevant sub-categories. That's what I did during the many years I spent as stake finance clerk.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Yes, I agree, but keeping a paper tally for weeks or months at a time is not acceptable. MLS is already keeping track of these data and Other accounts are meant to only be used for holding funds deposited for specific purposes (Girls Camp). In our ward funds come in anywhere from March to July and at some point a large check is written to the Stake, or over a period of time (that same period of time) checks are written for reimbursement from that category. As a result unless a tally is kept that entire time and either kept locked away where nobody uses it or kept out where everybody can see it there is not much benefit. The computer's job is to keep track as well, and these rules are fairly well-established, so I think having a feature just let yo know when you're about to go under $0 would be a good reminder to modify the amount from that category to get to exactly $0 and then get the rest from the appropriate budget account.
Thanks.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”