things are missing from the Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
WWS36

things are missing from the Calendar

Post by WWS36 »

For Dave Crockett.
I'm the Stake Admin for 6+ yrs now.
I have been getting complaints that some things are missing from the Calendar when viewed in Mobile Platforms. At least the latest complaint was from an apple products user.
How can we fix that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: things are missing from the Calendar

Post by russellhltn »

I know you addressed this to Dave, but there's a lot of detail missing here.

What are they using? LDS Tools, the calender on lds.org, or using the sync? For LDS Tools, have they done a sync? It's not automatic. If they're looking at the lds.org calendar, do they have the same calendars turned on? It tends to be remembers per browser per device. I don't think the selection is linked to your login. If they're using the sync, how long did they wait and how are they syncing? And don't forget, in some situations it's possible to make the font a hard to see color.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the location calendars are only visible on lds.org. It doesn't sync to the URL or LDS Tools. So that's a number of events that they'll never see. Only Ward, Stake and Church-wide calendars sync to other places.

There's way too many variables here to try and chase it down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

Thanks for the quick Reply, Russ. I have followed you over the years, and you have always been spot on.
I'll try to answer the details: 1- Using LDS Tools, but they also have a desktop and COULD use LDS.ORG. (But most folks down get the difference in detail between week & Month View.)
2- They sync LDS Tools each time they log on. 3- "It tends to be remembers per browser per device" I don't know what that means? 4- "I don't think the selection is linked to your login." I don't know what that means either? 5- "how are they syncing?" There are different ways to sync???
These are guys who lock up the buildings each night. They get there and something is going on in the bldg. They usually only look at the mobile Apple devices because it is always with them. They tend to refuse to llok at their desktops at home.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WWS36 wrote:3- "It tends to be remembers per browser per device" I don't know what that means? 4- "I don't think the selection is linked to your login." I don't know what that means either?
I'm referring to the checkboxes on the left that select what calendars are visible on lds.org. I believe the selection is saved in browser cookies - which means if you go to a different browser, or use a different device, it could be set differently.
WWS36 wrote:5- "how are they syncing?" There are different ways to sync???
There are three ways to get the calendar on a portable device - lds.org, LDS Tools, and the sync URL. When using the sync URL, there are still different ways to set it up.

But I don't think any of that matters.
WWS36 wrote:These are guys who lock up the buildings each night. They get there and something is going on in the bldg. They usually only look at the mobile Apple devices because it is always with them. They tend to refuse to llok at their desktops at home.
Neither LDS Tools nor the sync URL will show them events happening outside of their ward. And, they may not be able to see events scheduled on a private calendar.

If this is a building used by more than one ward - there's your problem. lds.org is capable of displaying a "location" - all events taking place at that location regardless of the unit doing the scheduling. It can also show restrictions that some schedulers use instead of events. But LDS Tool (and the sync URL) cannot do that. It will only show church-wide events, stake-level events, and events in their ward. But even then it will show them calendars they have rights to see. Some units will schedule family events on private calendars since the ward doesn't need to know about the Jones wedding.

The solution here is to get the building guys to use the browser on their device and go to lds.org where they can see the "location". LDS Tools (and the sync URL) just will not do it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

Thanks so much Russ! That last bit seems to be my answer. It needs to be published as wide as possible.

Return to “Calendar”