Membership Reporting

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
hellis

Membership Reporting

Post by hellis »

I'm not sure if this can be done safely in this system but it would be nice to have as an option a means of recording thoughts and records of personal meetings and interviews that I as a Bishop have with my members. I have members in various stages of counseling, some who must not take the Sacrament or give prayers or hold callings for now as a matter of informal discipline for things that need not go before a Bishops council or have issues that I am helping them with. My memory is not what it use to be. I write myself notes but they run the risk of getting lost or misplaced so i rarely do that. If I had an option of "Bishops Counseling" that can be kept confidential and only I would be able to see it, and that all I had to do was type the name in and the details of the counseling, as well as the recommendations, goals, challenges, and consequences pending, it would be so helpful. More could be done I'm sure with this but these are just a few thoughts for now.
eblood66

Re: Membership Reporting

Post by eblood66 »

hellis wrote:I'm not sure if this can be done safely in this system but it would be nice to have as an option a means of recording thoughts and records of personal meetings and interviews that I as a Bishop have with my members. I have members in various stages of counseling, some who must not take the Sacrament or give prayers or hold callings for now as a matter of informal discipline for things that need not go before a Bishops council or have issues that I am helping them with. My memory is not what it use to be. I write myself notes but they run the risk of getting lost or misplaced so i rarely do that. If I had an option of "Bishops Counseling" that can be kept confidential and only I would be able to see it, and that all I had to do was type the name in and the details of the counseling, as well as the recommendations, goals, challenges, and consequences pending, it would be so helpful. More could be done I'm sure with this but these are just a few thoughts for now.
I think that it is very unlikely that the church would make this kind of application available on lds.org. If the church's servers were hacked and this kind of information was made public it could be very damaging both legally and from bad publicity. Even just the knowledge that the church had such a database could be damaging. Maintaining a centralized database of very sensitive private information would likely disturb a lot of people.

I think that even a local application (where the data never goes to the central church servers) could result in bad publicity. I could be wrong but I don't think this kind of thing would be authorized by the general authorities.

What you might do is use a 'password manager' type program. These programs are primarily designed to hold passwords. But generally they also allow more free form notes and they generally support storing the database on portable storage (like a thumb drive) that can be locked up. They have strong encryption that should protect that data well as long as you choose a good master password. And it's generally easy to lookup entities quickly by name.

Return to “General Discussions”