Out of unit adminstrator not able to do sign

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
oyeahg

Out of unit adminstrator not able to do sign

Post by oyeahg »

One of our counselors in a ysa branch is able to log into MLS but is not able to sign on tithing. His login doesn't appear as an option for signing. Is there a way to reset his user? I have tried creating another user for him using his membership number but it won't allow me to do that.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Out of unit adminstrator not able to do sign

Post by jdlessley »

There are a couple of things to check. The first is to make sure the counselor has an out of unit member record complete with ordinance information entered and given one of the two counselor standard positions and not a custom position. The second is to make sure the counselor has been given financial permissions in MLS.

The title of your opening post implies the counselor has been assigned one of the two out of unit administrator positions in MLS. Is this correct? If he has then that could also be part of the problem. Out of unit leaders should not be assigned one of the two "out of unit administrator" user positions in MLS. This is improper use of this user position. I don't know what affect this would have on the ability to approve donation batches, but I suspect there could be issues.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:The second is to make sure the counselor has been given financial permissions in MLS.
I assume that's necessary to have that for the current login starting the batch, but is that required to be one of the signers? I thought that was strictly a position thing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:
jdlessley wrote:The second is to make sure the counselor has been given financial permissions in MLS.
I assume that's necessary to have that for the current login starting the batch, but is that required to be one of the signers? I thought that was strictly a position thing.
I ran into this exact problem. A counselor was not able to sign a donation batch. His username did not appear as an authorized signer. I checked his user permissions and sure enough he did not have finance permissions. Once granted finance pemissions his username appeared as an authorized signer. I think you are also right in that the calling position a user has in MLS must also be one of the authorized ones. Finance rights alone is not enough.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
Ever since MLS started requiring two signatures, it's always been the case that each signer has to have finance permissions in MLS. This is spelled out in the Help Center article Record Donations, step 10. When the requirement was added that the signers had to have certain callings, that was an additional requirement; at no time was anyone allowed to sign a batch who didn't have MLS finance permissions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Soooooo, that means anyone authorized to sign a batch is also able to cut checks, make transfers and all the other rights and privileges of a finance clerk? And this on the heals of explaining why a councilor can't move membership records.

That strikes me as little odd.

I suppose on one hand, he should be able to go in and see what he's authorized in the past, but Finance permissions seems to be giving him too much power.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:Soooooo, that means anyone authorized to sign a batch is also able to cut checks, make transfers and all the other rights and privileges of a finance clerk? And this on the heals of explaining why a councilor can't move membership records.

I suppose on one hand, he should be able to go in and see what he's authorized in the past, but Finance permissions seems to be giving him too much power.
Looking at this section, https://www.lds.org/help/support/record ... s?lang=eng #10, in the Help Centre, indicates a member of the Bishopric should be one of the authorised signatories.

Unless I've got this totally wrong, a Bishopric member has finance rights, so that his name will appear in the list of authorised batch authorisation signatories?

As to the other rights granted, that indeed may be a drawback, but in reality how many Bishopric members actually get involved in the day to day finances!

Their general finance access will probably change when finance is eventually totally carried out via the web. I imagine that their sole right then, in accessing finance, will be to authorise the batch after processing and nothing else. Time will tell on that!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Soooooo, that means anyone authorized to sign a batch is also able to cut checks, make transfers and all the other rights and privileges of a finance clerk? And this on the heals of explaining why a councilor can't move membership records.

You're confusing MLS and LCR. Your first sentence deals with MLS, and we certainly know that permissions in MLS are not finely tuned. Financial permissions in MLS are all or nothing (with an additional requirement of needing certain callings for a small set of features). So for a counselor to be able to authorize a batch, he has to have finance permissions, and so he can do all the financial functions in MLS. That's consistent with the permissions model of MLS, and is certainly nothing new.

Bishopric counselors are certainly able to move membership records in MLS, if they are given the Edit Membership permission. It's only on LCR (where permissions are more finely tuned to callings) that they are not permitted to move membership records; that's what you alluded to in your second sentence.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, but generally a counselor doesn't need Edit Membership rights to carry out the duties normally associated with their calling.

But maybe this will be fixed when this function moves to LCR.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”