Adjusting balance in Other Category

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
chillbilly1

Adjusting balance in Other Category

Post by chillbilly1 »

Several months ago we transferred funds from an Other category to create an initial account for a newly created ward in our stake. This was apparently a mistake and now we need to correct this deficit in the Other category from Budget. MLS doesn't seem to allow transferring or re-allocating those funds from Budget to the Other category. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of information on how to correct this other than "you need to fix this". Any ideas on how this is done?
daveywest

Re: Adjusting balance in Other Category

Post by daveywest »

Write a check to your ward from the Other category and deposit into the correct account.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

daveywest wrote:Write a check to your ward from the Other category and deposit into the correct account.
Right idea, but I think that's the wrong direction. Write a check from "Budget" and deposit into "Other".

I'm not sure which category of budget I'd write it from. Perhaps allocation?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

chillbilly1 wrote:Several months ago we transferred funds from an Other category to create an initial account for a newly created ward in our stake. This was apparently a mistake and now we need to correct this deficit in the Other category from Budget. MLS doesn't seem to allow transferring or re-allocating those funds from Budget to the Other category. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of information on how to correct this other than "you need to fix this". Any ideas on how this is done?
If you sent the funds originally using a check you may be able to just go back and re-categorize the check. But if you used an inter-unit transfer that may not be possible. I don't have experience with that.

If all else fails, you can write a check from budget and deposit it as a donation in Other. I'd recommend writing up a full explanation of what happened including references to the original transaction as the paperwork for the check for audit purposes.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”