Page numbers in Teachings of the Prophets

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

pahollow

Page numbers in Teachings of the Prophets

Post by pahollow »

Let me just say that what is being done with the beta is excellent! I finally feel it is good enough to use in class!
One thing I think would be an improvement is the have the page numbering (located on the right margin of the paragraph as the text flows) one or to points larger, in bold or maybe in blue or a combination of 2 or three of them. May be blue and larger would be a good combination.
Also the sheet music view (via the preview) is a real must!
ToManyLetters

Re: Page numbers in Teachings of the Prophets

Post by ToManyLetters »

I'll pass along the information to the developers to see what they can do, but I believe the page numbers are controlled by the content, rather than the application itself. I do know that someone is working on a high-visibility (large fonts) mode (in addition high contrast support and OpenDyslexic integration) for those who are visually impaired.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ToManyLetters wrote:I'll pass along the information to the developers to see what they can do, but I believe the page numbers are controlled by the content, rather than the application itself.
I know this is a Windows GL forum, but I would note that the Android version of GL confirms this. The Joseph Fielding Smith manual has page numbers, but the Ezra Taft Benson manual does not (at least not yet).

So it might be good to check out both the JFS and ETB manuals on Windows GL and see if either one has page numbers. If the JFS manual doesn't show page numbers, then it's probably an application limitation; if it does, but the ETB manual doesn't, then it's clearly a content issue.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

The question here isn't really about the presence of the pages (Windows displays all the page numbers it can for content that supports them--it definitely supports page numbers), but about the styling of the page numbers. Pahallow is asking that the page numbers be more distinct to aid with those who have poorer-than-average eyesight. As we're pretty gung-ho about usability and accessibility on the Windows project, if there's a way, we'll almost certainly make it happen.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

Thanks everyone! I noted that page numbering is not in all content such as Gospel Principles and the scriptures. Will there be page numbers in that content? It would be helpful in missionary discussions and the Gospel Essentials class for investigators and members also.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pahollow wrote:Thanks everyone! I noted that page numbering is not in all content such as Gospel Principles and the scriptures. Will there be page numbers in that content? It would be helpful in missionary discussions and the Gospel Essentials class for investigators and members also.
Page numbering in content is up to the content provider, not the mobile app. And while I don't have pages numbers in Gospel Principles, I do have page numbers in the Scriptures. So I know they are there.

It is my understanding that the goal is to have page numbering in all content, but I also understand that it is a very labor intensive process. I also understand that page numbering, when it is available in content, works differently in each variation of mobile app.

I am glad there are as many page numbers as there are.
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

Oh I see. I thought that there was some type of algorithm used to generate them. Maybe as we see Windows 10 universal app put in place it can be done once then work across everything. It is good that we can see the beginning even though not the end yet. Keep up the good work!

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”