New Calendar losing entries!

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
RodBarnes

New Calendar losing entries!

Post by RodBarnes »

[NOTE: I am not new to the calendar nor to computers (been an engineer for over 30 years). I've been working with LDS.org calendar for years (as bishopric counselor and stake clerk).]

I just added some events (working on the annual calendar for 2015) and it has lost some of the events. For example, I know I added the YW Girl's Camp and High Adventure -- I know they were visible after entry. Yet later, after entering several other items, these are no longer visible. However, the YM Encampment I entered at the same time as those two is still visible. Not sure what else it may have lost. I won't know until I go back through the entire process again to see what is missing.

This is not good...
RodBarnes

Re: New Calendar losing entries!

Post by RodBarnes »

It seems to be behaving this evening. I've gone back through and re-entered the items that had been lost, refreshing the page after every entry to ensure it was really there. It hasn't lost any tonight. Hopefully, they'll continue to show up in the future.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Was it just that one event? I was waiting to see what came of this as there's always the possibility that something wasn't saved or it was just a one-off glitch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RodBarnes

Post by RodBarnes »

Actually, I just found it lost some again. Following the last go 'round and confirming each entry, I know the Priest/Laurel activity was present. Looking today, it is missing.

Is anyone looking into this?
RodBarnes

Post by RodBarnes »

russellhltn wrote:Was it just that one event? I was waiting to see what came of this as there's always the possibility that something wasn't saved or it was just a one-off glitch.
There ended up being five events that were lost the first time. This time (today), I've noticed one event. I don't know yet if there are more.

I know I do not have to emphasize how critical it is that the calendar be reliable. We have enough difficulty trying to get people to use it regularly. If it isn't reliable they will run away in droves.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'll pass it on, but I find it odd that after several days there has been not one "me too". I know the calendar gets used enough that a serious bug like that is likely to have multiple reports.

I have to wonder if someone else in the ward/stake isn't deleting some entries. One of the features of the calendar that bothers me is the number of default admins it has. Some unit leaders are great with people, but an absolute hazard with a mouse. That fact that the calendar supports "drag and drop" to reschedule things makes it easy for such a person to inflict some real damage.

I don't know of any log of deletions, but you might look around to see if those events somehow got moved. Because if you can find them, you'll be able to find the culprit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RodBarnes

Post by RodBarnes »

I agree with the surprise about no "me, too" -- that is very odd., particularly because I expect everyone is busy getting 2015 entered.

As to others deleting things: I think that is unlikely. No one in the stake updates the calendar but me and one building scheduler. Certainly, it is possible but to have multiple events be mistakenly deleted seems unlikely.

Most of these lost events were multi-day events and I saw other anomalies with multi-day events -- I had to enter them twice because it would cut off two-days upon the first entry.

All very, very unusual.
sandramonkey

Post by sandramonkey »

Let me be the first to say "me too" then. I am in charge of scheduling all the baptisms for the stake. I have just realized today that they have been erroneously deleted and I've been double booking. This is not good. At all. Maybe the reason why people haven't been saying "me too" is because they haven't had a need to come back and look at the calendar.

Return to “Calendar”