Serious bug in new calendar release

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
btphelps

Serious bug in new calendar release

Post by btphelps »

The new release of the Calendar software is a vast step forward. Thanks to everyone who's put time and effort into the improvements.

However, there's a serious unknown bug that's preventing me from modifying an event.

I attempted today to modify an existing event, our Roundtable, held in a church building in another stake. It repeats for two years through 2016. I obviously cannot reserve that building using our calendar. When I set up the event last month, I choose "Other facility" and added the address:

LDS Chapel, 731 N. Ham Lane, Lodi, California

When I attempted to edit the description today, I cannot save the event. At first, I thought the (new to this release) red text below "Other facility" was an error message:

This is not a Church Facility and will need to be reserved through appropriate authorities.

So I thought it was an address recognition error of some kind because the location isn't listed in the approved "Locations and Rooms." I removed the location and chose "No facility". I still can't save the modified event.

So I tried creating a new event with an "Other facility" location and that worked. Looking at the existing Roundtable event, I noticed the other (what I assumed to be) error message on the user interface.

End date or number of occurrences cannot exceed 2 years.

So I tried removing the repeated date range of the Roundtable event, but I still cannot save it.

I tried creating a brand new event with the same repeating values and same meeting location. This worked.

After further experimentation (an hour +), it appears to me that the Select a Calendar drop-down value is disabled or deselected when I try to edit the event. The Select a Calendar icon is not displaying a value, just a house icon and a calendar icon. When I modified the Roundtable event and manually selected the Stake Calendar from the drop-down list of calendars, I was able to modify the event successfully. Otherwise I can't save any changes.

I was able to reproduce this bug. I selected a Youth Dance that did not have a location attached to it. I chose "Other Facility" and entered a street address. I saved it successfully. I edited the event again. This time the Select a Calendar icon is not displaying a value, just a house icon and a calendar icon.

So this reveals a few problems:

1) The red "advisory" text on the UI, which is displayed as soon as you choose to repeat an event, is confusing and misleading. Same thing for the red text under Outside Facility.

Under normal circumstances (based on the behavior I've come to experience as a senior technical writer who documents software), UI content in red is usually an error message and is not displayed until an error condition is detected. This UI content is helpful, but should not be colored red. Instead, to draw the attention to as desired, put an "information" icon next to it and use a more neutral color.

2) There's a bug related to choose an Outside Facility and the specific calendar that the event is attached to that's not allowing me to modify this Roundtable event. I should be seeing an error message, but I'm not.

@LDS_development_staff, please advise.

Brian Phelps
Stockton, California Stake Web / Calendar Admin
jhowell2000

Re: Serious bug in new calendar release

Post by jhowell2000 »

I had the same issues described above when creating an event that used other location with an address in the description. I can create the event, but not edit it. If changes need to be made I have to start all over. I am using mac 10.9.5, firefox 33.1
docmagik

Post by docmagik »

I'm having this same problem.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I have confirmed this problem. The initial report covered many issues which may have obscured the very real problem, but my testing shows that these are the key aspects of the problem:
  • You can create an event at an "Other Location" with no problem (repeating or non-repeating).
  • You can edit such an event just fine as long as the event is NOT a repeating event.
  • When you edit a repeating event at an "Other Location", the "Select a Calendar" dropdown is blank and so no calendar can be selected. Because the calendar is a required field, that means that no changes can be saved.
  • Events with "No location" don't have this problem. But if you edit an existing "No Location" event series and change it to "Other Location", the save will work fine, but subsequent attempts to edit the modified series will have the same problem described above.
One workaround is to use only single events for "Other Location" events. That's of course tedious and not a long-term solution. And there's no way to change an existing repeating event to a single event, so your only option is to create new single events and delete the repeating series. But perhaps a compromise would be to delete and replace the instances of such events that are coming up in the next month or so, and then hope that the bug will be fixed soon. Also, it would make sense to only edit such events when it is absolutely necessary while this bug exists.
tuckbo01

Post by tuckbo01 »

I, too, am having this problem. One observation I've made is if you don't select an "Other Facility" at all everything appears to work normally. So, in other words, if you select a "Church Facility" or "No Facility", the problem doesn't show up. It only is showing up when selecting "Other Facility".

I have tried this on these systems/browsers:
* Windows 7 - IE 11
* Windows XP - Google Chrome
* Windows 7 - Firefox
* Apple iPad and iPhone - Safari
I've had the same problem on each type of system.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

We fixed this one as outlined by aebrown above in our 2.7.3 release on Thursday. However, I see that editing repeating events in general is a problem. Some times is saves but I'm getting to to fail often. Spins but doesn't return to the main calendar and changes aren't saved.
btphelps

Post by btphelps »

This bug is more widespread than documented thus far.

I'm having the same issue -- unable to modify and save an event -- with a non-repeating event in one of our stake buildings. It's an all day event and I just want to change the date. When I click Update Event, the gears whir, the lights flash, but the change is not saved. I verified that the correct calendar is still selected. Nothing else has changed.

When I select "No facility" I can change the date.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

When you changed the date, wheel spins, does it just stay on the create event screen? Did you check for a conflicting event message at the top of the screen? Hopefully it auto scrolled to it. I'm concerned that users aren't seeing the message.
btphelps

Post by btphelps »

Yes, it remains on the create event screen. There is no error message. There are no conflicting events. I attempted to change another event last night and got the conflicting event message. I believe the UI auto-scrolled to the message.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

btphelps, could you provide some more detailed info about the event you have problem with. I tried to recreate, but couldn't.

Return to “Calendar”